Analyzing Wave Interference Patterns

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about the terminology and explanations given in a text regarding the distance between crests in a wave and how it relates to the distance between sources. The caption in the provided diagram appears contradictory and the concept of nodal lines is introduced. The expert suggests using a different method to visualize the waves in order to better understand the concept.
Hapablap
I don't know if this would be considered a homework problem, so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm working through an independent learning course and just needs some help with the terminology in the book. It started expressing wavelengths in 1/2λ, and I can't find an explanation why. I've come to this point in the text:

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/1317/ovlt.jpg

It states: "Since each circle in Figure 13.25 corresponds to a wave, the distance between each circle is one wavelength, or 1 1/2λ. Therefore, the distance from the Source S1 to the point P1 on the first nodal line is 3λ. Similarly, the distance between S2 and P1 is 2.5 1/2λ. Therefore, the difference in the distance between the line segments P1S1 and P1S2 is 0.5 1/2λ."

I assumed each circle is a crest in the wave, so a full wavelength. Are they actually crests and troughs alternating to make them half wavelengths? But then why is the distance from S1 to P1 3λ and not expressed as 1/2λ? Also, the part where it states "the distance between each circle is one wavelength, or 1 1/2λ" seems to be contradictory. Is it one wavelength or one half wavelength?

Any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are clearly more knowledgeable than the person who wrote the caption!
Indeed those are contradictory.
And "the distance from the Source S1 to the point P1 on the first nodal line is 3λ" doesn't make sense either way. The distance from S2 to P1 has to be 2.5 wavelengths so that a crest from S1 meets a trough from S2.

I always taught my grade 11 students to draw the crest circles with solid lines and the trough circles with dashed lines (or make them different colors). Like this one for "interference through a double slit" in the 2nd diagram: http://www.rpi.edu/dept/phys/ScIT/InformationStorage/intdiff/intdiff.html

Note that the heavy n=1 lines in your question's diagram go through points where there is a circle from one source and halfway between circles from the other source. This tells me that only the circles for crests are shown. Trough circles are to be imagined half way between every two crest circles. The heavy n=1 lines are where a crest from one source meets a trough from the other source; they are nodal lines or lines of destructive interference.

That helps, thank you for the response :)

1. What is wave interference?

Wave interference is the phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves meet and interact with each other. This interaction can result in the waves reinforcing or canceling each other out, creating a unique pattern.

2. How do you analyze wave interference patterns?

To analyze wave interference patterns, you must first identify the type of interference (constructive or destructive) and the interference pattern (beats, standing waves, etc.). Then, you can use mathematical equations and measurements to determine the wavelengths, amplitudes, and phase differences of the waves involved.

3. What are some real-life examples of wave interference?

Some common examples of wave interference include the patterns seen in a pond when two pebbles are dropped simultaneously, the colors seen in soap bubbles, and the stripes on a zebra's coat. Other examples can be found in music, radio signals, and seismic waves.

4. How does wave interference affect sound and light waves?

Wave interference can affect sound and light waves in various ways. In the case of sound waves, interference can change the volume and pitch of the sound. For light waves, interference can result in color changes or patterns, such as those seen in soap bubbles or oil slicks.

5. What are the practical applications of analyzing wave interference patterns?

Analyzing wave interference patterns has many practical applications, including in the fields of music, acoustics, optics, and engineering. It can also help scientists study the properties of different types of waves and the materials they pass through, as well as aid in the development of technologies such as noise-canceling headphones and medical imaging devices.