What type of adhesive to use with Aspergillus Niger experiments?

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a small lab system for growing Aspergillus Niger and the use of adhesives for holding it together. The individual is seeking advice on which adhesive to use, considering the potential impact of chemicals on the molds. One suggestion is to use protein glues, but they may not withstand heat and autoclaving. Another suggestion is to physically attach the system using a plastic twist tie or a pressure fit cylinder with an O-ring.
WarpedWatch
Greetings,

I'm trying to design a small lab system that grows Aspergillus Niger on a solid agar base and I've been thinking of making it from acrylic and using some sort of adhesive to hold it together, but I know some adhesives contain anti-fungals, etc. or they just happen to contain a lot of nasty chemicals that might make my precious molds oh-so unhappy. Does anyone here have laboratory experience with such adhesives, who can suggest the best thing to use? The entire unit will be about 30cm long by about 4cm wide and maybe 4 cm tall with about 20 to 30 small compartments in it, so the glue doesn't have to be super-cheap but I can't afford $100 a drip, either.

thanks for your help,
Mark

Biology news on Phys.org
Protein glues are non-toxic - hide glue, rabbit skin glue, fish glue are all examples. The only problem is withstanding heat & autoclaving. They don't. Many of these glues have severe adhesion problems above 45C.

Have you considered a physcal attachment - i.e., embedding something like a plastic twist tie in the agar, to allow tying off? 1.7% - 2.0% agar can take some flexing before it breaks. Czapek Dox agar is typically about 1.2%, so, this might not work. I dunno.

Why use glue at all? Can't you just use a pressure fit cylinder with an O-ring. Just press the molded agar out when ready. Use a large diameter sliced open plastic syringe as a model of what I'm thinking about.

1. What is Aspergillus Niger and why is it commonly used in experiments?

Aspergillus Niger is a type of fungus that is commonly used in experiments due to its ability to produce various enzymes and other compounds. It is also easily grown in laboratory settings and has a relatively quick growth rate, making it a convenient organism for research purposes.

2. What types of adhesives are commonly used with Aspergillus Niger experiments?

The most commonly used adhesives for Aspergillus Niger experiments are PVA (polyvinyl alcohol) and PDMS (polydimethylsiloxane). These adhesives have been found to have minimal impact on the growth and metabolism of the fungus, making them ideal for use in experiments.

3. Are there any adhesives that should be avoided when working with Aspergillus Niger?

Yes, there are some adhesives that should be avoided when working with Aspergillus Niger. These include cyanoacrylate (super glue) and silicone adhesives, as they have been found to inhibit the growth and metabolism of the fungus.

4. How do I prepare the adhesive for use in my experiment with Aspergillus Niger?

The preparation of the adhesive will depend on the specific type you are using. Generally, PVA adhesives should be mixed with water at a ratio of 1:3, while PDMS adhesives should be mixed with a curing agent according to the manufacturer's instructions. It is important to mix the adhesive thoroughly before use.

5. Can I reuse the adhesive in multiple experiments with Aspergillus Niger?

In most cases, it is not recommended to reuse adhesive in multiple experiments with Aspergillus Niger. This is because the adhesive may become contaminated with fungal spores or other substances, which could affect the results of your experiments. It is best to use fresh adhesive for each experiment.