Can I Accurately Mix Nitro Fuel Without a Hydrometer?

• Thread starter moe7404
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Methanol
In summary, the speaker has recently taken up the hobby of radio control cars and has been running a nitro truck for 7 months. They have been mixing their own nitro fuel using 30% nitro, 10% oil, and the rest methanol, but have been told that this method may result in incorrect measurements. They are looking for a way to accurately measure the right amounts and percentages without purchasing a hydrometer. It is suggested to take into account the densities of the components when measuring by volume, for example, 60g of methanol is equivalent to 75mL.
moe7404
i just started a hobby i couldn't afford till now. radio control cars. iam have been running a nitro truck for 7 mo. i started mixing my own nitro fuel, 30% nitro, 10% oil, rest methanol. i have been measuring by volume. i was told that doing it this way it will be off, by a cretin amount. i understand why this happenes. but what i need is a way to get the right amounts/ percents, without having to buy a hydrometer. i think if i measure volume and weight i should be able to get it closer than it is now. i am mixing a total 16 oz at a time. any help would be great, thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can measure by volume, just take densities into account. For example to prepare 100 g of mixture you need 60 g of methanol - and methanol density is 0.8 g/mL, so you need 75 mL.

--

Those percentages are usually by volume I believe.

What is methanol plus nitromethane?

Methanol plus nitromethane is a chemical mixture that is commonly used as a fuel in high-performance engines, such as those in drag racing cars and motorcycles. It is also known as "nitrometh" or "nitro" in the racing world.

How is methanol plus nitromethane produced?

Methanol plus nitromethane is typically produced by mixing methanol and nitromethane in specific ratios. The resulting mixture is then refined and purified to remove impurities and ensure optimal performance in engines.

What are the properties of methanol plus nitromethane?

Methanol plus nitromethane has several unique properties that make it ideal for use as a racing fuel. It has a high octane rating, which means it can withstand high compression ratios without detonating. It also has a low boiling point, making it easier to ignite and burn quickly.

What are the benefits of using methanol plus nitromethane as a fuel?

One of the main benefits of using methanol plus nitromethane as a fuel is its high power output. It has a higher energy density compared to traditional gasoline, which results in increased engine performance. It also burns cleaner, producing fewer emissions and reducing the environmental impact.

What are the potential risks of using methanol plus nitromethane?

Although methanol plus nitromethane is commonly used in racing, it can pose some risks if not handled properly. It is highly flammable and can be explosive under certain conditions. It also releases toxic fumes when burned, so proper ventilation is crucial when using it as a fuel.