How do you parametrize the unit square in the complex plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses the different ways to parametrize the unit square in the complex plane for contour integrals. The individual pieces of the square are the four sides, which can be parameterized using different formulas. The book being referenced is not self-contained, causing frustration for the speakers.
Raziel2701
My book just gives me what each individual piece is but doesn't explain anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
there would be a heap of ways, but firstly why do you want & how do you want to...

if its for a line integral the standrad way would be to consider each side of the square as a line separately

The "individual pieces", I suspect, are the four sides of the square.

The "unit square" in the complex plane is probably the square with vertices at 0, 1, 1+ i, and i. The bottom side, from 0 to 1, could be parameterized as "t" with 0< t< 1. Obviously, when t= 0, that gives the point "0" and when t= 1 that gives the point "1".

The right side, from 1= 1+ 0i to 1+ i could be parameterized by "1+ ti" with 0< t< 1. When t= 0 that gives the point 1+0i= 1 and when t= 1, it gives 1+ 1i= 1+ i.

The top side, from 1+ i to i= 0+ i could be parameterized by "(1- t)+ i" with 0< t< 1. When t= 0 that gives the point (1- 0)+ i= 1+ i and when t= 1 it gives (1- 1)+ i= i.

Finally, the left side, from i to 0 could be parameterized by "(1- t)i" with 0< t< 1. When t= 0 that gives the point (1- 0)i= i and when t= 1 it gives (1- 1)i= 0.

I found a formula in my calc book. It parametrizes the lines from 0 to 1, and although I don't know how my complex analysis book parametrized the unit square, this formula works all right.

I needed the parametrization for some contour integrals and the book is unfortunately not self-contained so they just throw results instead of procedures. I really hate this book...

Yeah I got the same parametrization as you did HallsofIvy, the book does it differently though, but I don't care, my method works just as well.

1. How do you represent the unit square in the complex plane?

To represent the unit square in the complex plane, we use a parametrization method. This involves assigning complex numbers to each point on the unit square, which can then be plotted on the complex plane.

2. What is the parametrization formula for the unit square in the complex plane?

The parametrization formula for the unit square in the complex plane is z(t) = x + iy, where x and y are both real numbers and t ranges from 0 to 1. This formula maps the unit square onto the complex plane, with t representing the position along the unit square's edges.

3. How does the parametrization of the unit square in the complex plane relate to trigonometric functions?

The parametrization of the unit square in the complex plane can be expressed using trigonometric functions. For example, z(t) = cos(t) + i*sin(t) represents a quarter rotation around the origin in the complex plane, and z(t) = 1 + i*t represents a line segment from (1,0) to (1,1).

4. What are the benefits of using parametrization in representing the unit square in the complex plane?

Parametrization allows for a more efficient and general representation of the unit square in the complex plane. It also allows for easier calculations and transformations, as well as providing a deeper understanding of the geometric properties of the unit square.

5. Can the parametrization method be applied to other shapes in the complex plane?

Yes, the parametrization method can be applied to any shape in the complex plane. The formula may differ depending on the specific shape, but the concept remains the same - assigning complex numbers to points on the shape in order to represent it on the complex plane.