Using a 555 timer as an analog frequency divider?

In summary, you are trying to build a circuit where you can put in an analog signal (your voice) and have it output the same signal with a much lower pitch (speech synthesizer). Is there any way you could do this with primarily a 555 timer?
crono1009
Hey guys,

I'm trying to build a circuit where I can put in an analog signal (my voice) and have it output the same signal with a much lower pitch (speech synthesizer). Is there any way I could do this with primarily a 555 timer?

I'm able to pulse width modulate the analog signal, but I don't really know where I can go from there. I was thinking about bringing in the analog signal via ADCs and then changing the frequency of all of the bits via a few 555 timers and finally DACing the signal into a speaker, but all I get is junk (sampling frequency issue?).

Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your voice doesn't just have one frequency. It has a lot of frequencies and harmonics of those frequencies.

So, it won't sound like you unless you can reproduce those frequencies or at least the relationship between them.

One way might be to use an A to D converter to record your voice into a memory chip and then play it back with a different clock rate and feed this output to a D to A converter.

This might give you something like the effect you are after, but it is complex and difficult to do.

vk6kro said:
Your voice doesn't just have one frequency. It has a lot of frequencies and harmonics of those frequencies.

So, it won't sound like you unless you can reproduce those frequencies or at least the relationship between them.

One way might be to use an A to D converter to record your voice into a memory chip and then play it back with a different clock rate and feed this output to a D to A converter.

This might give you something like the effect you are after, but it is complex and difficult to do.

Yeah, I figured as much. I've been simulating with only one input frequency, I could see how this would be cumbersome. Thanks for the tip!

I guess you are trying to do it as close as possible to "real time"? That would be a analog nightmare so a uP, which is what vk6kro I believe is suggesting, is the way to go.

Edit: When my daughter was a kid, she had a program that would modify (maybe 4 built-in styles) and the ability to play it backwards. Actually she got good at speaking backwards then playing it back backwards and it sound perfect. lol Anyway I just did a search and you can get software for voice modification. e.g. http://www.screamingbee.com/product/download.aspx"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a 555 timer?

A 555 timer is a type of integrated circuit (IC) that functions as a timer or oscillator. It was introduced in 1971 by the Signetics Corporation and has since become a popular and versatile component in electronic circuits.

2. How does a 555 timer work as an analog frequency divider?

A 555 timer can be configured to function as an analog frequency divider by using it in the astable mode, where it generates a square wave output. The frequency of this output can be divided by using a combination of resistors and capacitors, which determine the timing of the circuit. By adjusting these components, the output frequency can be divided by any value desired.

3. What are the advantages of using a 555 timer as an analog frequency divider?

One of the main advantages is its simplicity and ease of use. The 555 timer is a low-cost and widely available component, making it accessible for hobbyists and professionals alike. It also has a wide range of frequency and duty cycle capabilities, making it suitable for various applications.

4. What are some common applications of using a 555 timer as an analog frequency divider?

The 555 timer can be used in a variety of applications, such as creating square wave signals for timing and triggering, generating clock signals for digital circuits, and controlling the speed of motors or other electronic devices. It can also be used in audio circuits to create oscillations and tones.

5. Are there any limitations or considerations when using a 555 timer as an analog frequency divider?

One limitation is that the accuracy of the output frequency may be affected by changes in temperature and supply voltage. Additionally, the output waveform may not be perfectly square, which can affect the accuracy of the divided frequency. It is important to carefully select and test the components used in the circuit to ensure the desired output frequency is achieved.