A couple of questions of acetic acid

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions, one about the claimed difference in color vision between men and women and the other about calculating the mass percentage of undiluted acetic acid in an experiment. The first question does not have a clear answer, but one suggestion is that the participant with the more precise answer (4.8%) could be female based on the stereotype that women have better color vision. The second question involves using various measurements and calculations to determine the mass percentage of acetic acid. One possible method is to equalize the millimole amounts of NaOH and acetic acid and calculate using the compound's molar mass.
termite
Had a lab few days ago and a question was presented:

[q]Some people claim that women possesses better color vision than men. Suppose ths is true. Two people perform this experiment and their results are as follows:

Student1: Acetic Acid Concentration - 4.5%
Student2: Acetic Acid Concentration - 4.8%

Based on the gender claim which student is male and which is female? Explain your reasoning.[/q]

:uhh: I am not exactly sure how to answer it. Can anyone help? :uhh:

Second:

I have the following results from my experiment after three trials: Mass of Erlenmeyer flask=A, Mass of flask and vinegar=B, mass of vinegar=C, initial volume of buret=D, final volume of buret=E, volume of NaOH delivered=F, and concentration of NaOH (mol/L) on bottle=G. I am asked to find Mass % of undiluted acetic acid and average mass % of undiluted acetic acid. We weren't given any formulas on how to determine this. Does anyone know what I would do in this case?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If your first question involves the use of vinegar, then the first one should be female, I think.

About your calculations, C is A-B, and F is E-D. The millimole amount of NaOH is G*F. The mass of undiluted acetic acid can be found my equalizing the millimole of NaOH and then multiplying with the molar mass of compound (C=12, H=1, O=16 g/mol).

termite said:
Had a lab few days ago and a question was presented:

[q]Some people claim that women possesses better color vision than men. Suppose ths is true. Two people perform this experiment and their results are as follows:

Student1: Acetic Acid Concentration - 4.5%
Student2: Acetic Acid Concentration - 4.8%

Based on the gender claim which student is male and which is female? Explain your reasoning.[/q]
maybe the student 2 is female becuase the student was able to diferenciate between the colors of the pH indicator used more accuarly than the first student. 4.5% could just be an estimation that the percentage is somewhere between 4 and 5, but 4.8% is a seemimgly more precise responce. I don't like way the question is given.

Hmm, a nice approach indeed. I haven't thought this through. Congrats.

1. What is acetic acid?

Acetic acid, also known as ethanoic acid, is a colorless organic compound with the chemical formula CH3COOH. It is a weak acid commonly found in vinegar and is used in various industrial processes.

2. Is acetic acid harmful to humans?

Acetic acid can be harmful if ingested or inhaled in large quantities. However, it is generally considered safe in small amounts and is commonly used in food and household products. It is important to handle acetic acid with caution and follow safety guidelines.

3. How is acetic acid produced?

Acetic acid can be produced through the fermentation of ethanol by bacteria or through the oxidation of acetaldehyde. It can also be synthesized through various chemical reactions, such as the oxidation of ethylene.

4. What are the uses of acetic acid?

Acetic acid has a wide range of uses, including as a food preservative, flavoring agent, and household cleaner. It is also used in the production of various chemicals, such as vinyl acetate and cellulose acetate. In addition, it is commonly used in the textile, pharmaceutical, and cosmetic industries.

5. Can acetic acid be found in nature?

Acetic acid can be found in nature in various forms, such as in vinegar, fruits, and even in the human body. It is also produced by some bacteria, fungi, and plants as a byproduct of metabolic processes.