Diffraction grating experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving a red laser and a diffraction grating. The distance between the grating and the screen was measured to be 10cm (x). Using the formula d*tan(y/x) = m λ, where m is a whole number and d is a constant, two different wavelengths were obtained for the same laser. The question arises whether to take the average of the two values or to consider one of them as a random error. The expert suggests using the correct formula d sinθ = mλ to calculate the wavelength, as the approximation used in the previous formula was not valid in this experiment.
m_p_w
I did an experiment where a red laser went through a diffraction grating
The distance between the diffraction grating to the screen is 10cm (x)
Later I measure the distance from the central dot to the first dot (4.5cm) (y)
after this I measure the distance from the central dot to the second dot(13.1cm) (y)

I used this formula to calculate the wavelength of the red laser: d*tan(y/x) = m λ
where m = 0,1,2... and d = 1.67*10^-6 in this experiment.

The problem which I've got is that I got two different wavelengths for the same red laser
692.4nm and 765.6nm.
My question is this, should I add these two wavelengths and then divide it by two to get the "average" wavelength or should I just say in the experiment that the wavelength "765.6nm" is a random error; thus, we should not take it to the consideration?

Physics news on Phys.org
any one please, if this is a stupid question then please tell me

m_p_w said:
I did an experiment where a red laser went through a diffraction grating
The distance between the diffraction grating to the screen is 10cm (x)
Later I measure the distance from the central dot to the first dot (4.5cm) (y)
after this I measure the distance from the central dot to the second dot(13.1cm) (y)

I used this formula to calculate the wavelength of the red laser: d*tan(y/x) = m λ
where m = 0,1,2... and d = 1.67*10^-6 in this experiment.

The problem which I've got is that I got two different wavelengths for the same red laser
692.4nm and 765.6nm.
My question is this, should I add these two wavelengths and then divide it by two to get the "average" wavelength or should I just say in the experiment that the wavelength "765.6nm" is a random error; thus, we should not take it to the consideration?

The equation you quoted is wrong. The correct equation is d sinθ = mλ.

What you did was to replace sinθ by tanθ=y/x, so you calculated the wavelength from the formula d y/x = mλ. But sinθ can be approximated by tanθ only for small angles, that is, when y<<x. That was not valid in your experiment. Find θ=arctan(y/x), and use the formula d sinθ = mλ to get the wavelength.

ehild

Likes 1 person
thank you so much

You are welcome.:smile:

ehild

Related to Diffraction grating experiment

1. What is a diffraction grating experiment?

A diffraction grating experiment is an optical experiment that involves passing light through a grating with closely spaced parallel lines. This causes the light to diffract, or spread out, creating a pattern of bright and dark spots. This pattern can be analyzed to determine the properties of the light, such as its wavelength or frequency.

2. How does a diffraction grating work?

A diffraction grating works by causing the light to diffract as it passes through the closely spaced parallel lines on the grating. This diffraction causes interference between the light waves, creating a pattern of bright and dark spots. The spacing between the lines on the grating determines the angle at which the light will diffract, allowing for the measurement of its properties.

3. What are the applications of a diffraction grating experiment?

A diffraction grating experiment has many applications in science and technology. It is commonly used in spectroscopy to analyze the properties of light, such as its wavelength and intensity. It is also used in optical instruments, such as telescopes and cameras, to improve resolution and reduce chromatic aberration. Diffraction gratings are also used in the production of holograms and as optical filters in various devices.

4. How can the results of a diffraction grating experiment be interpreted?

The results of a diffraction grating experiment can be interpreted by analyzing the pattern of bright and dark spots created by the diffracted light. The spacing between the spots can be measured and used to calculate the properties of the light, such as its wavelength or frequency. The intensity of the spots can also provide information about the relative amplitudes of the diffracted light waves.

5. What factors can affect the results of a diffraction grating experiment?

There are several factors that can affect the results of a diffraction grating experiment. These include the spacing between the lines on the grating, the wavelength of the light being diffracted, and the angle at which the light is incident on the grating. The quality and cleanliness of the grating can also impact the accuracy of the results. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and humidity may also affect the diffraction pattern.