Moment of Inertia (Triangular Prism)

In summary: No, it wouldn't cancel out because r2 is positive regardless of the signs of x and y. So you need to integrate over all values of x and y in the first quadrant, and then multiply by 4.In summary, the triangular prism has a moment of inertia of 7Ma^2/96 for rotation about the z axis, with the axis of rotation passing through the center of mass of the prism. The products of inertia are found by integrating over the entire prism, with limits of integration from -a to a for x and 0 to √3a/2 for y. The infinitesimal volume element is given by dV = H dx dy, where H is the total length along the z-axis.
derrickb

Homework Statement

A triangular prism (like a box of toblerone) of mass M, whose ends are equilateral triangles parallel to the xy plane with side 2a, is centered on the origin with its axis along the z axis. Find its moment of inertia for rotation about the z axis. Without doing any integrals write down and explain its two products of inertia for rotation about the z axis.

Homework Equations

I=∫r2dm
ρ=M/V
r2=x2+y2

The Attempt at a Solution

ρ=M/(.5bhH);H is total length along z-axis
ρdV=dM=.5ρdxdydz

I=∫∫∫x2+y2dxdydz

I evaluated this with integration limits
for x: 0 to a
for y: 0 to √3a/2
for z: 0 to h/2

after doing it all out and substituting M/V back in for ρ, I got an answer of 7Ma2/96. I muliplied by 2 since that integral was only for half of the object, so my final answer would be 7Ma2/48. I have an intuition that this is incorrect. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Are my limits of integration correct? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
derrickb said:

Homework Statement

A triangular prism (like a box of toblerone) of mass M, whose ends are equilateral triangles parallel to the xy plane with side 2a, is centered on the origin with its axis along the z axis. Find its moment of inertia for rotation about the z axis. Without doing any integrals write down and explain its two products of inertia for rotation about the z axis.
Where exactly is the axis of the prism?

Homework Equations

I=∫r2dm
ρ=M/V
r2=x2+y2

The Attempt at a Solution

ρ=M/(.5bhH);H is total length along z-axis
ρdV=dM=.5ρdxdydz
Where did the 0.5 come from in the last line?

I=∫∫∫x2+y2dxdydz

I evaluated this with integration limits
for x: 0 to a
for y: 0 to √3a/2
for z: 0 to h/2
I don't understand your limits at all. Why are you integrating z from 0 to half the height of the triangle?

after doing it all out and substituting M/V back in for ρ, I got an answer of 7Ma2/96. I muliplied by 2 since that integral was only for half of the object, so my final answer would be 7Ma2/48. I have an intuition that this is incorrect. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Are my limits of integration correct? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

vela said:
Where exactly is the axis of the prism?
Not sure I really understand what you're asking. It says it's along the z-axis

vela said:
Where did the 0.5 come from in the last line?
ρ=M/V
ρV=M; V=A*H; A=.5bh
ρ(.5bhH)=M
ρdV=dM
I substituted in .5bhH for V but looking back on it I don't think I should have.
would dM=ρdxdydz be correct?

vela said:
I don't understand your limits at all. Why are you integrating z from 0 to half the height of the triangle?
Sorry that was a typo. "h" should have been "H"

derrickb said:
Not sure I really understand what you're asking. It says it's along the z-axis
I'll assume one of the edges of the prism lies along the z-axis then. Is that right?

ρ=M/V
ρV=M; V=A*H; A=.5bh
ρ(.5bhH)=M
ρdV=dM
I substituted in .5bhH for V but looking back on it I don't think I should have.
would dM=ρdxdydz be correct?
Yes, that's generically correct because in Cartesian coordinates, the volume element is given by dV = dx dy dz.

Sorry that was a typo. "h" should have been "H"
I still don't understand why you're only integrating to H/2. It's not like dividing by 2 and then subsequently multiplying by 2 simplifies the calculation any.

vela said:
I'll assume one of the edges of the prism lies along the z-axis then. Is that right?
The way I interpret it is that the axis of rotation is along the z-axis, and that the z-axis runs through the center of mass. Basically, the triangle is centered on the z-axis. The wording is very vague, and I am a little confused by what is meant.

vela said:
I still don't understand why you're only integrating to H/2. It's not like dividing by 2 and then subsequently multiplying by 2 simplifies the calculation any.
So I should integrate from -H/2 to H/2 is what your saying?

derrickb said:
The way I interpret it is that the axis of rotation is along the z-axis, and that the z-axis runs through the center of mass. Basically, the triangle is centered on the z-axis. The wording is very vague, and I am a little confused by what is meant.
That sounds reasonable. So the z-axis lies somewhere in the middle of the prism. Doesn't this mean that x and y should take on both positive and negative values? Have you drawn a sketch?

Yes.

You'll see that the integration over the z-coordinate simply amounts to multiplying by H. Rather than using dV = dx dy dz, you could write dV = H dx dy and forgo integrating over z altogether. The infinitesimal volume element would be a rectangular solid with sides of length dx, dy, and H. You can do this because every piece of that element is the same distance r from the axis of rotation.

Likes 1 person
vela said:
That sounds reasonable. So the z-axis lies somewhere in the middle of the prism. Doesn't this mean that x and y should take on both positive and negative values? Have you drawn a sketch?

I have drawn a sketch. I'm going to try and work it out with the z-axis in the center of the triangle, and then with the z-axis as one of the prism edges, and use the parallel-axis theorem. I can take a picture of my work then. I know x and y would have positive and negative values, but if I integrated from them, wouldn't they just cancel out because of the symmetry?

No, it wouldn't cancel out because r2 is positive regardless of the signs of x and y.

derrickb said:
Why not 0 to H? It won't make any difference. In fact, forget z and just treat it as a flat triangle.
I suggest using the symmetry of the triangle. Cut it into six identical right angled triangles, each with a corner at the z axis. That will simplify the integration bounds.

Related to Moment of Inertia (Triangular Prism)

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of a body that describes its resistance to rotational motion. It is the measure of how difficult it is to change the rotational velocity of an object.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for a triangular prism?

The moment of inertia for a triangular prism is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The formula is I = 1/12 * m * (h^2 + b^2), where m is the mass of the prism, h is the height, and b is the base length of the triangular cross-section.

3. What is the unit of measurement for moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is typically measured in units of kg*m^2 or kg*cm^2.

4. How does the shape of a triangular prism affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of a triangular prism affects its moment of inertia, as it determines the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation. The larger the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is to change the rotational motion of the object.

5. What is the significance of moment of inertia in real-world applications?

Moment of inertia has many real-world applications, including engineering, physics, and sports. It is used to design and analyze structures and machines, to understand the behavior of rotating objects, and to improve the performance of athletes in sports such as figure skating and diving.