Calculating Jupiter's Mass from Log10(a) vs Log10(P) Graph

In summary, the problem involves creating a graph of log10(a) vs log10(P) for the Galilean satellites and 3 others, and using the trend line equation to calculate the mass of Jupiter. The equation used is m1+m2= (4*PI^2*a^3)/(G*P^2), where PI is 3.14... and G is the universal gravitational constant. There may be a need to rearrange the Kepler equation and take the log to find the gradient. The masses of the satellites can be neglected due to the large mass of Jupiter.
bemc
my problem involves creating a graph of log10(a) vs log10(P) of the Galilean satellites and 3 others, then calculate the mass of Jupiter from the graph. P= period of the satelite, a is the semi-major axis

I have created the graph and it seems to be right since the of the trend line is 3/2. My problem is that I am unsure how to go about calculating the mass from the graph.

to get the equation y = 1.5012x - 8.1973

I have tried using m1+m2= (4*P^2*a^3)/(G*P^2)G being the universal gravitational constant 6.67206 x 10-11 m3/kg s2. I used P and A values of Io. Unfortunatly that produced a rather large value and doesn't utilize the graph at all.

Any help or nudges in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

You can neglect the masses of the satellites I think, since Jupiter is so much more massive than its satellites. Remember that the gradient is just effectively[tex]log_{10}(a) / log_{10}(p) [/tex].
Start by rearranging the kepler equation so you can the gradient part on one side, then take the log remembering [tex]log_b(x^y) = ylog_b(x)[/tex]

bemc said:
I have tried using m1+m2= (4*P^2*a^3)/(G*P^2)

You have miscopied the equation. That is not the Kepler law equation. You should have written
m1+m2= (4*PI^2*a^3)/(G*P^2)

where PI stands for the number 3.14...

1. How do you calculate Jupiter's mass from the Log10(a) vs Log10(P) graph?

The mass of Jupiter can be calculated by using the formula M = 4π²a³/GP², where M is the mass of Jupiter, a is the semi-major axis, P is the orbital period, and G is the gravitational constant.

2. What is Log10(a) and Log10(P) in the graph?

Log10(a) and Log10(P) are logarithmic scales used to represent the semi-major axis and orbital period of Jupiter's moons in the graph. This helps to visualize the data in a more manageable way.

3. Why is Log10(a) vs Log10(P) used to calculate Jupiter's mass?

The Log10(a) vs Log10(P) graph is used because it helps to show the relationship between the semi-major axis and orbital period of Jupiter's moons. This relationship is crucial in calculating the mass of Jupiter using the aforementioned formula.

4. How accurate is the calculated mass of Jupiter from the Log10(a) vs Log10(P) graph?

The calculated mass of Jupiter from the Log10(a) vs Log10(P) graph is relatively accurate. However, it may have some margin of error due to the limitations of the data used and the assumptions made in the calculation process.

5. Is there a specific unit for the Log10(a) and Log10(P) scales in the graph?

The Log10(a) and Log10(P) scales in the graph do not have a specific unit, as they are logarithmic scales. However, the units for the semi-major axis and orbital period can be determined from the data points on the graph, such as astronomical units (AU) for the semi-major axis and days or years for the orbital period.