How is Brown for graduate work in math?

In summary, Brown University has a strong reputation for its graduate program in mathematics, consistently ranking among the top 20 in the United States. The research opportunities for math graduate students at Brown are diverse and active, with access to resources such as seminars, workshops, and conferences. On average, it takes around five years to complete a math graduate degree at Brown, but this may vary depending on the program and individual progress. Brown also provides support for its math graduate students, including mentorship, funding for research and travel, and resources for professional development. Students can pursue specific areas of math at Brown, with specialization options such as algebra, analysis, geometry/topology, and applied mathematics. Overall, Brown offers a supportive and collaborative environment for its math
ab77
I've been accepted to the (pure) math Ph.D. program. Does anyone know something about this program? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ab77 said:
I've been accepted to the (pure) math Ph.D. program. Does anyone know something about this program? Thanks.

Pretty good department, especially for applied math. They also seem to have a strong PDE and algebraic geometry department. Congratulations, Brown is a great school for math.

Thanks. I am specially interested in algebraic geometry there.

1. What is the reputation of Brown for graduate work in math?

Brown has a strong reputation for its graduate program in mathematics. It is consistently ranked among the top 20 math graduate programs in the United States.

2. What are the research opportunities like for math graduate students at Brown?

Brown has a diverse and active research community in mathematics, offering opportunities for students to work with faculty on cutting-edge research projects. Graduate students also have access to resources such as seminars, workshops, and conferences to further their research interests.

3. What is the average time it takes to complete a math graduate degree at Brown?

The average completion time for a math graduate degree at Brown is around five years. However, this can vary depending on the specific program and individual progress of the student.

4. How does Brown support its math graduate students?

Brown provides a supportive and collaborative environment for its math graduate students. This includes mentorship opportunities, funding for research and travel, and resources for professional development.

5. Can I pursue a specific area of math at Brown for my graduate studies?

Yes, Brown offers a variety of specialization areas within its math graduate program, including algebra, analysis, geometry/topology, and applied mathematics. Students can work with faculty to tailor their studies to their specific interests and career goals.