Angular Momentum Conservation Problem

In summary, when a star like our Sun no longer has any hydrogen or helium "fuel" for thermonuclear reactions in its core, it can collapse and become a white dwarf star. Often the star will "blow off" its outer layers and lose some mass before it collapses into the rapidly spinning, dense white dwarf.
akan

Homework Statement

When a star like our Sun no longer has any hydrogen or helium "fuel" for thermonuclear reactions in its core, it can collapse and become a white dwarf star. Often the star will "blow off" its outer layers and lose some mass before it collapses into the rapidly spinning, dense white dwarf. Suppose a star with mass 1.0 Msun, with a radius of 6.96×10^8 m and rotating once every 25 days, becomes a white dwarf with a mass of 0.62 Msun and a rotation period of 131 s.

Homework Equations

Msun = 1.99 × 1030 kilograms
M1 = 1.0 Msun
R1 = 6.96 * 108
T1 = 25 days = 2 160 000 seconds

M2 = 0.62 Msun
R2 = ?
T2 = 131 seconds

T = 2 pi r / v
= 2 pi r / w r
= 2 pi / w
.:. w = 2 pi / T

I = (2/5)MR2

The Attempt at a Solution

I1 x w1 = I2 x w2
(2/5)(M1 x R12)(2 pi / T1) = (2/5)(M2 x R22)(2 pi / T2)
(M1 x R12)(1 / T1) = (M2 x R22)(1 / T2)
(M1 / M2)(T2 / T1)(R12) = R22
sqrt((M1 / M2)(T2 / T1)(R12)) = R22
R2 = sqrt((1.99*1030)/[(0.62)(1.99*1030)](131/2160000)(6.96*108)2
= 6.88*106 m

Checking the result by plugging into equations shows that I am roughly correct. But Mastering Psychics says I am wrong. Where is the mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get a different answer using your last equation. Perhaps you typed it into your calculator incorrectly?

Well, I tried typing it a few more times and I am still getting the same answer. I also tried to use the masteringphysics integrated calculator, which is more graphical, but got the same answer. What answer do you get? And are there any errors in any of my formulas?

Hmmm, I think I might have typed it into my calculator wrong since I now get the same answer as you. :redface: As far as I can tell, your solution is correct. Perhaps check with your teacher to see if the answer given is wrong?

I have the similar problem as you are except my mass is .6 M[tex]_{sun}[/tex] now when pluggin mine in I get the following equation:

R[tex]_{2}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{1.99x10^{30}}{(.60 * 1.99x10^{30})} * \frac{131}{2160000} * 6.96x10^{8}}[/tex] = 70351.8 = 70000 if you do 2 sig figs, but according to mastering physics is wrong so any help on where its going wrong would suffice.

1. What is angular momentum conservation?

Angular momentum conservation is a physical law that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object or system.

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved because of the principle of inertia, which states that an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In a closed system where there are no external torques, the angular momentum of the system will remain constant.

3. What is an example of angular momentum conservation in action?

A common example of angular momentum conservation is a spinning figure skater. When a figure skater pulls in their arms, their moment of inertia decreases, causing their angular velocity to increase in order to conserve their angular momentum. This is demonstrated by the skater spinning faster.

4. How does angular momentum conservation relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Angular momentum conservation is closely related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first and second laws. The first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This is analogous to angular momentum conservation in a closed system. The second law, which relates force and acceleration, can be applied to angular motion by substituting torque for force and angular acceleration for linear acceleration.

5. Is angular momentum conservation always true?

In classical mechanics, angular momentum conservation is always true in a closed system where there are no external torques. However, in quantum mechanics, angular momentum may not be conserved due to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to precisely measure both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time.