How Does Sunscreen Filter Out Ultraviolet Radiation?

In summary, the conversation discusses conducting experiments for a Physics EEI on the effects of different types and thicknesses of sunscreens on UV radiation levels. The idea behind sunscreen is to reflect/scatter some UV rays and filter others to protect the skin. The investigation will require scientific and mathematical evidence, and suggestions include examining the properties of the sunscreen, measuring the intensity of UV radiation, and considering the effect of different thicknesses of sunscreen. It is also advised to research existing literature and use mathematical models to estimate the effectiveness of sunscreen.
FearTheHump
I am conducting a number of experiments for my Physics EEI, in which UV radiation levels are tested after passing through different types and thicknesses of sunscreens. From what I understand, the basic idea behind sunscreen is that some of the UV rays are reflected/scattered before reaching the skin, while others are filtered to reduce the number of rays reaching your skin.

As part of the investigation I must back my results up with scientific/mathematical evidence, but I can't figure out what quite it is I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

I apologise if this question is inappropriate or in the wrong section.

Physics news on Phys.org
A good place to start would be to look at the properties of the sunscreen itself - what type of UV radiation does it filter out, and how effective is it at doing so? You could then use this data to calculate how much of the UV radiation is being blocked and how much is reaching your skin. You could also measure the intensity of the UV radiation before and after it passes through the sunscreen, to gain an idea of how effective the sunscreen is. Finally, you could consider the effect of different thicknesses of sunscreen on the amount of UV radiation that is blocked - does thicker sunscreen block more radiation than thinner sunscreen? In addition to this, you could look at the scientific literature available on sunscreens, to see what research has been done in this area, and what conclusions have been drawn. This can help to provide you with a theoretical basis for your experiment. Finally, you could use mathematical models to estimate the effectiveness of the sunscreen in blocking UV radiation, based on the properties of the sunscreen and the intensity of the UV radiation.

What is ultraviolet radiation?

Ultraviolet radiation, or UV radiation, is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a shorter wavelength than visible light. It is invisible to the human eye but can be detected by some animals, such as birds and insects.

Where does ultraviolet radiation come from?

UV radiation comes from the sun and is also produced by artificial sources, such as tanning beds and black lights. It is also emitted by certain types of lamps and lasers used in industrial and medical applications.

What are the effects of ultraviolet radiation on the human body?

UV radiation can have both positive and negative effects on the human body. In small doses, it helps the body produce vitamin D, which is essential for bone health. However, overexposure to UV radiation can lead to sunburn, premature aging of the skin, and an increased risk of skin cancer.

How can we protect ourselves from ultraviolet radiation?

To protect ourselves from UV radiation, it is recommended to limit sun exposure during peak hours (10 AM to 4 PM), wear protective clothing, and use sunscreen with a high SPF. It is also important to avoid tanning beds and other artificial sources of UV radiation.

Can ultraviolet radiation be used for any beneficial purposes?

Yes, UV radiation has various beneficial uses in industries such as medicine, agriculture, and sanitation. UV radiation can be used to sterilize medical equipment, improve crop growth, and kill harmful bacteria and viruses in water and air. It is also used in the production of vitamin D supplements.