What is the UV catastrophe and how does it challenge classical physics?

In summary, the UV catastrophe refers to the failure of classic physics to explain black body radiation, as according to classical point of view, the intensity of radiation should increase as the frequency increases. However, this is physically impossible as it would result in infinite energy density. Planck's theory of discrete energy packets was able to explain this phenomenon, and it was one of the first indications that classical mechanics was incomplete. The intensity of radiation can be measured by placing a radiation source in a black box with a small hole and measuring the radiation that escapes. However, classical theories such as the Lorentz-Dirac equation also face difficulties in describing the motion of a point particle within a purely classical theory of electromagnetism, indicating the need for
Asmaa Mohammad
when I read about the ultraviolet catastrophe on the internet I get a severe headache, and what I read in it doesn't stick in my mind, and my textbook says: "The classic physics failed in explaining the black body radiation because as a classical point of view the radiation is electromagnetic waves so the intensity of the radiation increases as the frequency increases." So, I would like someone give me a simple explanation of the UV catastrophe. Another thing I don't understand is how to measure the intensity of the radiation, I did some research and found that intensity is power per unit area, but still I don't know how to measure the power of the radiation, and I don't think that I understand the concept "intensity of the radiation" well.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
There have been many threads here on the UV Catastrophe. I suggest a forum search starting with the links at the bottom of this page.

Last edited:
Asmaa Mohammad said:
So, I would like someone give me a simple explanation of the UV catastrophe.

Well unless you know the math of statistical mechanics it can't be explained except to say if you apply the usual rules it gives the so called Rayleigh-Jeans law (see equation (2c2) which gives the energy density of a black body (the start of the article explains without any math what is being considered ie a cubical cavity filled with radiation):
https://www.cv.nrao.edu/course/astr534/PDFnewfiles/BlackBodyRad.pdf

As the frequency increases note the energy density increases without bound ie to infinity which is physically impossible.

You would measure it by say putting a radiation source in a black box with a small hole in it to measure what radiation escapes. Obviously the formula is wrong, and was found experimentally to be wrong.

Along come Planck who actually made a mistake in his derivation and got the right answer by assuming the energy comes in discrete packets. This was one of the first indications classical mechanics was wrong.

Actually there are others such as the Lorentz Dirac equation which requires QED to fix up:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/9912045v1.pdf
'The root of the problem resides with the fact that we are trying to describe the motion of a point particle within a purely classical theory of electromagnetism.This cannot be done consistently. Indeed, a point particle cannot be taken too literally in a classical context; it must always be considered as an approximation to a nonsingular, and extended, charge distribution. Essentially, the difficulties of the Lorentz-Dirac equation come from a neglect to take this observation into account.'

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes Asmaa Mohammad and OCR

What is the ultraviolet catastrophe?

The ultraviolet catastrophe is a phenomenon in physics where classical theory predicts that an ideal blackbody should emit infinite energy in the ultraviolet spectrum. This contradicts with experimental observations and led to the development of quantum mechanics.

When was the ultraviolet catastrophe discovered?

The ultraviolet catastrophe was first described by German physicist Max Planck in 1900, during his studies on blackbody radiation. It was a major problem in physics at the time and sparked the development of quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of the ultraviolet catastrophe?

The ultraviolet catastrophe was a major problem in physics that led to the development of quantum mechanics. It showed that classical theories, such as Newton's laws of motion, were not sufficient to explain certain phenomena and that a new theory was needed to accurately describe the behavior of particles on a microscopic level.

How was the ultraviolet catastrophe solved?

The ultraviolet catastrophe was solved by German physicist Albert Einstein in 1905, when he proposed the concept of photons and their discrete energy levels. This helped to explain the observed behavior of blackbodies and led to the development of quantum mechanics by other scientists.

Is the ultraviolet catastrophe still relevant today?

The ultraviolet catastrophe may not be a major problem in modern physics, as it has been solved by the development of quantum mechanics. However, it serves as an important historical event that helped to shape our understanding of the behavior of particles and the development of modern physics.