What simple concept am I missing about moments?

In summary: Earth!In summary, the moment around the Earth's axis is perpendicular to the plane that the position and force vectors lie in.
mindheavy
In a two-dimensional statics problem involving finding a moment about a point, I don't understand how the result is either in the positive/negative z direction.

I realize moments are found by the cross product, and the cross product requires the answer to be perpendicular to the plane that the two vectors form.

If I look down at the surface of my desk and take that to be an x-y plane. a pencil laying on the plane is held stationary at it's left end, and the right end is made to rotate clockwise. This tells me that I can expect my moment to be in the negative z direction (say, going down through the surface of the desk). This makes no sense to me, what concept am I missing here?

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi mindheavy! :smile:

it's a convention

we could define it other way round (ie moment up for clockwise)

(like we could say electrons have positive charge, protons have negative charge)

but we don't, we say moment down for clockwise, moment up for anti-clockwise

what don't you like about that? :confused:

What I don't like is thinking of the pen rotating clockwise and knowing that the 'answer' for the moment is going down through the desk. Is it that I don't really get what a moment is? It's easy for me to understand that a force applied to the pen causes it to rotate, but why is the moment saying the result is perpendicular? Why is the result not just the direction of rotation?

Another way I'm looking at it:
I'm imagining standing at a slot machine, the lever is directly in front of me. When I pull this lever down, there's a force acting on it going straight out either left or right? This makes no sense to me.

hi mindheavy! :smile:
mindheavy said:
I'm imagining standing at a slot machine, the lever is directly in front of me. When I pull this lever down, there's a force acting on it going straight out either left or right? This makes no sense to me.

it's not a force

(it's not even a vector, it's a pseudovector)

it's a moment (or torque or couple)

imagine that lever is twice as long, with the pivot in the middle

you'd produce the same effect by pulling one end down and the other end up

the total force is zero

only the total moment is non-zero
What I don't like is thinking of the pen rotating clockwise and knowing that the 'answer' for the moment is going down through the desk. Is it that I don't really get what a moment is? It's easy for me to understand that a force applied to the pen causes it to rotate, but why is the moment saying the result is perpendicular? Why is the result not just the direction of rotation?

but the direction of rotation is perpendicular to the desk!

here's a question for you:

how would you describe the direction of rotation of the earth? :smile:

(and if you wanted to make the Earth rotate faster, what would you call the direction of the moment you should apply?)​

Ok, this is starting to become clearer. Getting a vector when calculating a moment made me think of a force, but if it isn't actually a force, it will be easier to grasp.

I would describe the Earth as rotating about it's vertical axis, and the direction of this rotation is perpendicular to that axis.

Is that a main idea here, being perpendicular to the axis?

mindheavy said:
I would describe the Earth as rotating about it's vertical axis, and the direction of this rotation is perpendicular to that axis.

Is that a main idea here, being perpendicular to the axis?

nooo, the direction of rotation is the axis

that's the only way we can unambiguously define rotation!

the Earth's axis is N-S

perpendicular would be any diameter through the equator, but which one? through ecuador? through kenya?

isn't the only sensible direction of rotation the line through the poles? :wink:

I thought it would be the line perpendicular to the axis of rotation, at any point along that axis, maybe I have some more reading to do :)

A vector is really just a magnitude and a direction. When vector analysis was developed, someone thought, "Hey, we can apply this to physics!". Forces have a magnitude and a direction, positions can have a magnitude and a direction from an origin, so using vector-based math seemed like a perfect fit.

Some scientists figured out that if you do the vector cross product of a (relative) position and a force, you get a vector whose magnitude corresponded exactly to the magnitude of a moment created around a point. The direction of that vector is a result of the cross product operation (following the right-hand rule). In vector analysis, that cross product vector is perpendicular to the plane that the two original vectors lie in. Translating that into the physical problem, they determined that the direction pointed along the axis of rotation and perpendicular to the plane of the created moment. They also figured out that which way the direction vector pointed identified which way the moment "spins" on that axis.

The moment vector is still just a magnitude and direction, but it tells you in what plane the actual "rotation" occurs, which way it's "spinning", and what the magnitude of the moment is.

1. What is a moment in terms of physics?

A moment, also known as torque, is a measure of the turning or twisting force applied to an object. It is defined as the product of the force and the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is moment different from force?

The key difference between moment and force is that force is a linear or straight-line action, while moment is a rotational or twisting action. Force causes an object to move in a straight line, while a moment causes an object to rotate around an axis.

3. How does the distance affect the moment?

The moment of a force is directly proportional to the distance between the point of rotation and the point where the force is applied. This means that the farther the distance, the greater the moment, and vice versa.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of a moment?

The magnitude of a moment is affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the distance from the point of rotation, and the angle between the force and the direction of motion. The larger the force, the longer the distance, and the more perpendicular the force is to the motion, the greater the moment will be.

5. How are moments used in real-life applications?

Moments are used in many real-life applications, such as in engineering, construction, and sports. They are essential for calculating the stability and strength of structures, such as bridges and buildings. In sports, moments are used in activities that involve rotation or twisting, such as throwing a discus or swinging a golf club.