Limits of Speed & Physical Quantities in the Universe

In summary, according to this conversation, there is no definite definition for the 'minimal' velocity obtainable from a quantum point of view. The speed associated with the zero-point motion is either \infty or c, depending on whether you are using the classical or the relativistic version of QM.
Hyperreality
We all know the speed of light has a absolute value in vacuum measured by all observers from various reference frames and itis the fastest speed in the universe.

My question here is, if there is a limitation on how fast matter would travel, is there also a limitation on how slow matter would travel? And are there limitations to all physical quantities such as the smallest particles or heaviest particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the speed of material particles is relative, it is hard to answer your first question. In other words two things moving at the same velocity are moving at 0 speed relative to each other.

Smallest particles question is probably answered by electron neutrinoes. The only things smaller are zero mass things - photons, gluons, and gravitons.

Heaviest is a different question. Do you mean fundamental particles (top quark is heaviest), or are you asking about anything - like the entire universe?

Originally posted by mathman
Since the speed of material particles is relative, it is hard to answer your first question. In other words two things moving at the same velocity are moving at 0 speed relative to each other.

Well, that's not really true. Quantum mechanically, there is always the zero-point motion...

[tex]E_n=\hbar\omega(n+\frac12)[/tex]

To me, that would constitute the 'minimal' velocity. So, near 0 K when two particles move at the same speed, this will result in a minimal velocity difference. Wouldn't you agree?

On other hand, we know that the measure in the space of quantum trajectories concentrates in the continuous but no differentiable ones.

So the maximum velocity given by relativity is c, and the minimum velocity given by quantum mechanics is, err.. , infinity.

Actually I believe the same calculation for relativistic quantum mechanics (an approximate, non existent theory) is intended to give c instead of infinity, so no inconsistency here.

In any case, what happens is that forward and backward randomness compensate, and you get a decent finite averaged velocity in the direction you expected to go.

relativistic quantum mechanics (an approximate, non existent theory)

Approximate, yes. Non existence (or existence) has not been shown.

Originally posted by suyver
Well, that's not really true. Quantum mechanically, there is always the zero-point motion...

This is for the QHO (quantum harmonic oscillator).

Originally posted by suyver
To me, that would constitute the 'minimal' velocity.

You should review how the spectrum of the momentum operator for a QHO is obtained.

In the classical case of a mass on the end of a spring, when all the energy is potential energy, the speed of the mass is zero. How does this carry over to the QHO?

Last edited:
Originally posted by jeff

This is for the QHO (quantum harmonic oscillator).

Yes, I know. I only used this as a simple example that nearly everybody has seen before: even at the lowest energy, the QHO is not without movement. The zero-point motion is always there. To me, this constitutes in some sense the 'minimal' velocity obtainable. However, the arguments put forward by other replies in this thread made me reconsider (see below).

In the classical case of a mass on the end of a spring, when all the energy is potential energy, the speed of the mass is zero. How does this carry over to the QHO?

Not easily...

In the case of classical mechanics, I agree fully that the 'minimal' velocity obtainable is equal to 0. However, quantum mechanically this is not so simple... As stated in earlier replies, the speed associated with this zero-point motion is either [itex]\infty[/itex] or c, depending on weather you are using the classical or the relativistic version of QM. Now that I thought about it, I think that this is most probably not a usefull definition of the 'minimal' velocity obtainable. So, I'd say that the 'minimal' velocity obtainable from a quantum point of view is just ill defined (as is time in general in classical QM). That leaves me only with the definition from classical (relativistic) mechanics: the 'minimal' velocity obtainable is equal to 0.

Excuse my ignorance, but can anyone please explain to me what QHO and what is the meaning of the equation
[tex]E_n=\hbar\omega(n+\frac12)[/tex]?

What is the speed of light and why is it considered a limit?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second and it is considered a limit because it is the maximum speed at which all energy, matter, and information can travel in the universe. This limit is described by Einstein's theory of relativity and is a fundamental principle in modern physics.

Are there any physical quantities that have no limit?

While the speed of light is considered a limit, there are some physical quantities that have no limit, such as temperature. Temperature can continue to increase indefinitely, as seen in extreme environments like the center of a star or in a supernova explosion. However, there may be limits to how high a temperature can reach in our observable universe.

What are the potential consequences of breaking the speed of light barrier?

Currently, there is no evidence or theory that suggests anything can travel faster than the speed of light. If this barrier were to be broken, it could potentially challenge our understanding of the laws of physics and have implications for time travel and causality. However, it is currently considered impossible to break this limit.

How do black holes relate to the limits of speed and physical quantities in the universe?

Black holes are objects with incredibly strong gravitational pull, so strong that not even light can escape from them. This means that black holes have a limit on the speed at which anything can escape their gravitational pull, known as the event horizon. This limit is directly related to the speed of light and serves as a physical demonstration of its importance in the universe.

Is it possible for the limits of speed and physical quantities in the universe to change?

While our current understanding of physics suggests that these limits are absolute, there are some theories that suggest they may have been different in the early universe. For example, some models of the Big Bang propose that the speed of light may have been much higher in the first moments after the universe began. However, these are still speculative and have not been proven.