Simplify the following equation for n 1

• Thread starter roeb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
In summary, the initial attempt at solving the problem involved combining the given expression into one term, resulting in (-n^2 + 3n - 1)/(n^3 - 2n^2 + n). However, upon realizing the incorrect substitution of 1/n instead of 1/n^2, the correct solution was found to be 2/n^3.
roeb

Homework Statement

show [tex]\frac{1}{(n-1)^2} - \frac{1}{n^2} about= \frac{2}{n^3}[/tex]
n >> 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I tried was to put the expression all into one term.
so I got [tex]\frac{-n^2 + 3n - 1}{n^3 - 2n^2 + n}[/tex]
Unfortunately, I'm not sure where to go next with this... I assume it has to do with n >> 1. But I really don't see how they get 2/n^3 if anything I would think -1/n ...

Physics news on Phys.org

How did you get your expression (in "attempt at a solution" section)? Did you try to get a common denominator?

Wait, I see your problem.

The 2nd term in the original expression is 1/n2, not 1/n

My apologies, I just realized I did the incorrect substitution from the original problem. I incorrectly transcribed 1/n. It should have been 1/n^2.

I figured it out now, thanks.

1. What does it mean to "simplify" an equation?

Simplifying an equation means to reduce it to its most basic and concise form. This is often done by combining like terms, eliminating unnecessary or redundant expressions, and following mathematical rules to make the equation easier to work with.

2. How do you simplify an equation?

To simplify an equation, you should first identify any like terms that can be combined. Then, use the distributive property to eliminate parentheses and combine any remaining terms. Finally, follow the order of operations to perform any necessary calculations and reduce the equation to its simplest form.

3. Can an equation be simplified in multiple ways?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to simplify an equation. The specific method used will depend on the structure of the equation and personal preference. However, the end result should always be the same - a simplified and equivalent equation.

4. Is it necessary to simplify an equation?

In some cases, simplifying an equation may make it easier to solve or understand. However, there are also cases where a more complex equation is necessary for a specific purpose. Ultimately, the decision to simplify an equation depends on the context and purpose of the problem at hand.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying an equation?

One common mistake is to overlook terms that can be combined or not follow the correct order of operations. It's also important to be careful when distributing negative signs or fractions, as these can easily lead to errors. It's always a good idea to double-check your work and simplify the equation in multiple ways to ensure accuracy.