What's special about the number?

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
In summary, the number 232,792,560 is the lowest number divisible by the numbers 1-20 and also by 1-21 and 1-22. It is also the first number to be divisible by 116,396,280. This number was also the answer to question number 5 on Project Euler. Many people arrived at this answer through different thought processes, such as finding the sum of the digits or adding numbers together. However, some may have rejected these processes and only accepted answers that fit their expectations. Ultimately, this number's unique properties make it significant and interesting.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
Without looking it up, tell me what is so special about the number 232,792,560.

Also, explain your process, I want to know how you people think.

Physics news on Phys.org
232+560=792

That's not quite what I was looking for. I'm looking for a property that is unique to this number, or that this number is the first to accomplish.

Its the lowest number divisible by 1-20

Yep, that's correct. How did you get to that answer?

Its the answer to question number 5 on Project Euler. so i had solved for it before.

Char. Limit said:
I want to know how you people think.
Char. Limit said:
That's not quite what I was looking for.

Odd. You ask for the thinking process that goes into an answer, but then reject processes that don't lead to the answer you like.

How much can one learn if one only accepts answers one expects? :smile:

Jarle said:
232+560=792

Maybe I am a glass half empty person. I saw it as 792-232=560. :redface:

DaveC426913 said:
Odd. You ask for the thinking process that goes into an answer, but then reject processes that don't lead to the answer you like.

How much can one learn if one only accepts answers one expects? :smile:

I stand chastised. Sorry, Jarle.

rtd1996 said:
Its the lowest number divisible by 1-20
It's the lowest number divisible by 1-21 and by 1-22 as well.

This might be quirky but it is how I first thought about it

2+3+2 =7
7+9+2=18 --> 1+8=9
5+6+0=11 --> 1+1=2

which when assembled is 792
I like to add.

It's also the first number to be divisible by 116,396,280

It's a really big number. That seems pretty special to me.

dav2008 said:
It's also the first number to be divisible by 116,396,280

Wrong its the second number. a number first divides itself ;)

1. What is the significance of the number 42?

The number 42 is famously known as the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything" in Douglas Adams' book "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". In mathematics, it is an abundant number, meaning that the sum of its proper divisors is greater than the number itself. It also appears in various scientific and cultural references, making it a popular and interesting number to many people.

2. Why is the number 3 considered a magical number?

In many cultures and religions, the number 3 is considered a sacred or magical number. This is because it is often associated with balance and completeness, as well as being a symbol of the trinity in many belief systems. In mathematics, 3 is the first odd prime number, and has many unique properties and relationships with other numbers, making it a fascinating number to study.

3. What is the significance of the number 0?

The number 0, also known as zero, is a unique and important number in mathematics and science. It is the additive identity, meaning that any number added to 0 remains unchanged. It is also the starting point for the number line, and plays a crucial role in calculations involving negative numbers. In science, 0 is often used as a placeholder or signifier for the absence of something, making it a significant number in many fields of study.

4. How is pi calculated and why is it an irrational number?

Pi (π) is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is approximately equal to 3.14159, but has an infinite number of decimal places. It is an irrational number because it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction, and its decimal expansion never ends or repeats. Pi is calculated using various methods, such as the infinite series or the Monte Carlo method, and has been a subject of fascination and study for thousands of years.

5. What is the significance of the number 1?

The number 1 is often seen as the most fundamental and basic number in mathematics. It is the first natural number and the multiplicative identity, meaning that any number multiplied by 1 remains unchanged. In science, 1 is often used as a unit of comparison or measurement, and has many significant roles in various mathematical operations and equations. It is also a symbol of unity and singularity, making it a significant number in many aspects of life and study.