Which Door Holds the Gold?

• Thread starter ashishsinghal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gold
In summary, there are three doors, three guards, and you have to determine which door leads to the gold. You can ask three questions, but the guards speak in an unknown language and one of them randomly lies and tells the truth. What would your three questions be?
ashishsinghal
There are two doors - one has lots of gold. You want to get gold . There are two guards (one for each door). Both of them know behind which door gold is kept. One guard always says the truth while the other always lies. You do not know who says the truth or who lies.
But the guards know who lies and who speaks truth. You can ask only one question. What would that be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please read this before answering.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=100534

That's a classic one :biggrin:

What would the other guard tell you if I asked him "After which door is the gold?"?
Then pick the opposite door...

Here's a nice variants:

There are three doors, and there are three guards: one always speaks the truth, one always lies, and one randomly lies and speaks the truth. Furthermore, the speak in an unknown language, so you won't know what is yes and what is no.
You can ask three questions before deciding which door leads to the gold. Which questions would you ask?

micromass said:
There are three doors, and there are three guards: one always speaks the truth, one always lies, and one randomly lies and speaks the truth. Furthermore, the speak in an unknown language, so you won't know what is yes and what is no.
You can ask three questions before deciding which door leads to the gold. Which questions would you ask?

This is nearly an impossible puzzle, it's the hardest logic puzzle ever!

I would approach this situation by first considering the information given. It is clear that there are two doors, one with gold and one without. Additionally, there are two guards, one who always tells the truth and one who always lies. It is important to note that the guards know each other's nature and are aware of which door holds the gold.

In order to determine which door holds the gold, I would ask one of the guards the following question: "If I were to ask the other guard which door holds the gold, what would they say?" This question allows me to gather information from both guards without directly asking them which door holds the gold.

If I ask the truthful guard, they would honestly tell me what the lying guard would say, which would be the incorrect door. If I ask the lying guard, they would lie about what the truthful guard would say, also leading me to the incorrect door. However, by knowing that both guards know each other's nature, I can deduce that the opposite door of their response is the one that holds the gold.

Ultimately, as a scientist, I would use logic and reasoning to approach this problem and determine the correct door that holds the gold. The key is to ask a question that allows me to gather information from both guards, while also considering their deceptive natures.

What is "Which Door Holds the Gold?"

"Which Door Holds the Gold?" is a classic thought experiment that involves a scenario where there are two identical doors, one of which holds a large amount of gold behind it. The goal is to use logic and reasoning to determine which door holds the gold.

What is the purpose of "Which Door Holds the Gold?"

The purpose of this thought experiment is to challenge our ability to use logic and reasoning to solve problems. It also serves as a way to explore concepts such as probability and decision making.

Is there a correct answer to "Which Door Holds the Gold?"

There is no one correct answer to this thought experiment. The solution will vary depending on the individual's approach and reasoning. However, there are some commonly accepted strategies and solutions that can be used to determine the door with the gold.

What skills does "Which Door Holds the Gold?" help to develop?

Solving this thought experiment can help to develop critical thinking skills, logical reasoning, and problem-solving abilities. It also encourages creativity and the ability to think outside the box.

Are there any real-life applications for "Which Door Holds the Gold?"

Although this thought experiment may seem like a simple game, the skills and concepts it involves can be applied to real-life situations. For example, in decision-making processes where there are multiple options and unknown outcomes, using logic and reasoning can help to determine the best course of action.