Multiplication of incompatible matrices

In summary, Hamid Attaran said that if two matrices are not compatible for matrix multiplication, then one may need to embed the matrices into a single set of square matrices in order to perform the multiplication. He also said that if the problem is confusing, then most likely something is wrong.
attaran
Dear members,

I have a rather silly question.
As we all know only the compatible matrices can be multiplied. My derivation of some Finite Element formulation has, however, led me to the multiplication of two incompatible matrices.

I was wondering if we could make these incompatible matrices, compatible by some factorization techniques. Has anyone ever encountered such a problem?

I appreciate if someone could help me in this respect.

Regards,

-- Hamid Attaran

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey attaran and welcome to the forums.

Can you provide more information? What dimensions are the matrices? Are the matrices special types? (Like diagonal, triangular, singular, non-singular, have specific determinant, eigenvalues, eigenvectors and so on)

Thanks for your reply, Chiro.

Some are diagonal and some are not.
For one case I have reached from:
[A]8x2.2x2.[C]2x4.[D]4x1.[E]2x8
to:
[]8x1.[]2x8

which obviously are not compatible for matrix multiplication.

These are populated as follows:

A = [A11 0
0 A22
0 A82]

B = [B11 0
0 B22 ]

C = [C11 C12 C13 C14
C21 C22 C23 C24]

D = [D11
D21
D31
D41]

E= [E11 0 E13 0 ... E17 0
E21 0 E23 0 ... E27 0]

I hope I have provided enough information.

regards,
-- Hamid

attaran said:
Thanks for your reply, Chiro.

Some are diagonal and some are not.
For one case I have reached from:
[A]8x2.2x2.[C]2x4.[D]4x1.[E]2x8
to:
[]8x1.[]2x8

which obviously are not compatible for matrix multiplication.

These are populated as follows:

A = [A11 0
0 A22
0 A82]

B = [B11 0
0 B22 ]

C = [C11 C12 C13 C14
C21 C22 C23 C24]

D = [D11
D21
D31
D41]

E= [E11 0 E13 0 ... E17 0
E21 0 E23 0 ... E27 0]

I hope I have provided enough information.

regards,
-- Hamid

Well, either (1) you define a new multiplication between non-compatible matrices, or (2) you embed all your matrices into

one single set of square matrices, perhaps by adding zeros to their rows or columns, or (3) you plainly cannot multiply those matrices among them.

I wonder why you think, or feel, that you must multiply those matrices...?

DonAntonio

The point is that if your method arrives at the multiplication of two "incompatible" matrices, then this cannot be ordinary multiplication of matrices. How you would alter the usual definition of multiplication of matrices would depend upon what you want this multiplication to mean. And that can only be determined by the precise problem you are dealing with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely you have got confused about something.

Computer programs for the finite element method often store data in 2-d arrays which are NOT "matrices" in the mathematical sense. For example the 6 independent compoents of a symmetric 3x3 tensor (for eaxmple stress and strain) are often stored in a 6x1 vector. Or 21 independent constants for an arbitrary anisotropic material might be stored in a symmetric 6x6 matrix, when it is really a 3x3x3x3 fourth-order tensor with a large number of symmetry relations between the 81 terms.

DonAntonio, HallsofIvy and AlephZero, Thanks for your comments and help.

As I was discussing my problem with a mathematician, he advised me to use the "Tensor Product" instead and after a quick survey, looks like that I can use a special case of tensor product, called "Kronecker product". According to Wikepedia(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronecker_product)

"If A is an m-by-n matrix and B is a p-by-q matrix, then the Kronecker product A ⊗ B is the mp-by-nq block matrix ".

Thanks and regards,

-- Hamid

What is the definition of multiplication of incompatible matrices?

Multiplication of incompatible matrices refers to the process of multiplying two matrices that do not have compatible dimensions. This means that the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix.

Why is it not possible to multiply incompatible matrices?

Incompatible matrices cannot be multiplied because the dimensions of the matrices do not satisfy the requirements for matrix multiplication. In order for matrix multiplication to be possible, the inner dimensions (number of columns in the first matrix and number of rows in the second matrix) must be the same.

Can incompatible matrices be multiplied using a different method?

No, incompatible matrices cannot be multiplied using any other method because the fundamental principles of matrix multiplication still apply. The dimensions must be compatible in order for the multiplication to be possible.

What happens if you try to multiply incompatible matrices?

If you try to multiply incompatible matrices, you will receive an error message. This is because the dimensions do not satisfy the requirements for matrix multiplication and the operation cannot be performed.

What are some ways to make incompatible matrices compatible for multiplication?

In order to make incompatible matrices compatible for multiplication, you can use matrix operations such as transposition or matrix addition to change the dimensions of the matrices. Another option is to simply choose different matrices that have compatible dimensions for multiplication.