Software for multiplication of matrices

In summary: Maxima.Magma is a possible option, and I would also recommend looking at sympy.I think that for demanding numerical linear algebra problems, MATLAB or (when things get out of hand) Fortran would be the better options.
mr. bean
Software for multiplication of matrices

I'm going to do a lot of matrix multiplications, since I'm computing Jarlskog invariants. I would like to know if there is a great program for doing a lot of matrix multiplications? I tried with Maple but at some point it gives up. My matrices are not very large: 3x3 or 2x2, but the elements get quite complicated, since I do matrix multiplication of 8 matrices.

I do not have access to Mathematica, but would that be a possibility?

MATLAB seems complicated, since I'm using functions and letters.

I think someone talked about that Latex could do computations?

What are your suggestions? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Latex is typically used to rende4 matrices for your manuscript not for doing calculations.

Matlab is quite a powerful tool which specializes in matrix manipulation. Many engineers and scientists use it in daily life. It's pricey if you're not a student though. It comes with many optional toolkits for more specialized work.

http://www.mathworks.com/examples/matlab

An alternative to mat lab would be Julia, an open source language with syntax very similar to mat lab but perhaps faster execution speeds.

If you get the anaconda distribution of Julia and Python you'll have a couple of options to consider for your work.

You should check around your dept to see what others are using. They can tell you xperiences better and you'll have someone to go to right there. Also you could check with Jarlskog to see what math tools were used in her research. You might be able to contact her at the perimeter institute and it would be a great way to setup a connection for the future.

mr. bean said:
MATLAB seems complicated, since I'm using functions and letters.
Do you mean that your calculations are symbolical?

Krylov said:
Do you mean that your calculations are symbolical?
Yes I do.

mr. bean said:
Yes I do.
Then I don't think MATLAB is helpful. It has an optional symbolical toolbox, but you would be better advised to use a system capable of symbolical calculations directly. I think that
Nidum said:
may not be useful either for symbolical calculation, but that poster can perhaps say more about this.

Like you, I use MAPLE myself. It suits my needs, even for quite heavy symbolical (multi)linear algebra, such as the calculation of normal forms for local bifurcations in ODE. Mathematica should have more or less the same capabilities. Both packages cost money. Both packages have student licenses.

An allegedly powerful package that may be worth checking out is Magma. Also see this comparison, which includes free as well as non-free packages.

Last edited:
Likes S.G. Janssens
Nidum said:
Do you have personal experience with this? I would be curious to hear how it compares with the established CAS, in your opinion.

Wiki has a good summary of sympy capabilities especially nice is the final conversion to latex for rendering.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SymPy

http://docs.sympy.org/latest/modules/physics/unitsystems/examples.html

Mathematica would be another option although it's pricey but perhaps not so much for students and it also has a cloud based version i.e. you'lll need a web browser to work with the online version.

http://www.wolfram.com/mathematica

Last edited:
Thank you all for the suggestions. I will try again with Maple and Mathematica.

For small order matrices you mention the free and pretty darn good Maxima would likely suffice. A bit of a learning curve, but not worse than Maple/Mathematica.
http://maxima.sourceforge.net/

Krylov said:
Then I don't think MATLAB is helpful. It has an optional symbolical toolbox, but you would be better advised to use a system capable of symbolical calculations directly. I think that ...

Matlab is capable of doing symbolic matrix multiplication, and is actually really simple (just trying to expel any fears of the OP). MATLAB is an option for symbolic multiplication.

perplexabot said:
Matlab is capable of doing symbolic matrix multiplication, and is actually really simple (just trying to expel any fears of the OP). MATLAB is an option for symbolic multiplication.
In my quote I didn't say that MATLAB is not capable of symbolic manipulation.

However, you need to purchase a separate toolbox for symbolic mathematics in MATLAB (the symbolic "mtimes" function is part of that toolbox). Also, I do not think that for demanding symbolic tasks it can compete with CAS. For lighter tasks it may be convenient, because one can do everything in one environment.

Everybody is at liberty to try, of course.

Similarly, I do not think that CAS are the weapon of choice for demanding numerical linear algebra problems. For this, I would use MATLAB or (when things get out of hand) Fortran. Others in this thread would probably opt for Python, Julia or C++.

Likes perplexabot

1. How does software for multiplication of matrices work?

Software for multiplication of matrices uses algorithms and programming techniques to perform the mathematical operation of multiplying two or more matrices together. The software typically takes in input matrices, performs the multiplication process, and outputs the resulting matrix.

2. What are the benefits of using software for multiplication of matrices?

Software for multiplication of matrices can save time and reduce errors, especially when dealing with large matrices. It also allows for easy comparison of results and can handle complex calculations that may be difficult to do by hand.

3. What types of matrices can be multiplied using this software?

Most software for multiplication of matrices can handle matrices of any size and shape, including square matrices, rectangular matrices, and even non-square matrices. However, the software may have limitations based on the computing power and memory of the device it is being used on.

4. Are there any limitations to using software for multiplication of matrices?

One limitation of using software for multiplication of matrices is that it may not be able to handle extremely large matrices due to memory limitations. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by rounding errors or limitations in the number of decimal places that can be displayed.

5. Can the software for multiplication of matrices be used for other mathematical operations?

While the primary purpose of the software is to multiply matrices, some programs may have additional features that allow for other mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and division of matrices. However, these capabilities may vary depending on the specific software being used.