Collections of physics problems - good idea?

In summary, the speaker is starting grad school next year and is looking for ways to prepare for the qualifier. They have found collections of physics problems with and without solutions on Barnes & Noble's website and are seeking opinions on their usefulness. The speaker has listed several books they were considering, including Princeton Problems in Physics with Solutions and University of Chicago Graduate Problems in Physics with Solutions, and has heard positive reviews for both.
dicerandom
I'll be starting grad school next year, and I'm already starting to worry about the qualifier ;) While poking around on Barnes & Noble's site I noticed that there are whole books which are just collections of problems in physics, with and without solutions. I thought that these might be a good way to get started studying for the qualifier, just so that I can expose myself to a wide variety of problems from different concentrations and work my way through them. I found a number of books, most of which were linked to off of other books I was looking at, and I'm wondering what everyone's opinions are.

Are these collections of problems a good way to get started studying for the qualifier? Are there any particularly good books in this area? How good are the ones I've listed?

Here are the books I was looking at:

• Princeton Problems in Physics with Solutions, ISBN 0691024499
  • University of Chicago Graduate Problems in Physics, with Solutions, ISBN 0226121097
  • 200 Puzzling Physics Problems: With Hints and Solutions, ISBN 0521774802
  • Physics with Answers: 500 Problems and Solutions, ISBN 0521483697
  • Physics by Example: 200 Problems and Solutions, ISBN 0521449758

Physics news on Phys.org
Both the Princeton and Chicago books are worth the money. I used both for my qualifiers way back when...

I would say that using collections of physics problems as a study tool for the qualifier is a great idea. These books provide a wide variety of problems from different areas of physics, which can help you to develop a strong understanding of the subject. They also offer solutions and hints, which can be helpful for self-assessment and understanding problem-solving techniques.

In terms of the specific books you have listed, they all seem to have good reviews and cover a range of topics. I would suggest looking at sample problems from each book to see which style and level of difficulty you feel most comfortable with. Some may also have additional resources such as online practice problems or interactive solutions, which could be helpful in your preparation.

Overall, I believe that using collections of physics problems can be a valuable tool in preparing for the qualifier. However, it is important to also supplement with other study materials and to actively engage with the problems rather than just passively reading through them. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the purpose of creating collections of physics problems?

The purpose of creating collections of physics problems is to provide a resource for students and researchers to practice and improve their problem-solving skills. These collections often include a variety of problems that cover different topics and levels of difficulty, allowing individuals to challenge themselves and gain a deeper understanding of physics concepts.

2. Are these collections suitable for all levels of physics knowledge?

Yes, collections of physics problems are designed to cater to a wide range of levels, from beginner to advanced. They typically include problems that cover the fundamentals of physics as well as more complex and challenging problems for those with a deeper understanding of the subject.

3. Can these collections be used for self-study?

Absolutely. Collections of physics problems are a great resource for self-study as they provide a structured and organized way to practice and test your understanding of physics. Many collections also include solutions or hints for each problem, making it easier for individuals to self-assess their progress.

4. How can collections of physics problems benefit students?

Collections of physics problems can benefit students in several ways. They provide a way for students to practice and improve their problem-solving skills, which are crucial in understanding and applying physics concepts. These collections also cover a variety of topics and levels, allowing students to broaden their knowledge and deepen their understanding of the subject.

5. Are there any downsides to using collections of physics problems?

One potential downside of using collections of physics problems is that they may not cover all the topics or types of problems that a student may encounter in their coursework or exams. It is important to supplement these collections with other resources and materials to ensure a well-rounded understanding of physics. Additionally, some collections may not include solutions or explanations for the problems, which can make it challenging for students to check their answers and understand their mistakes.