Unexpected Phishing Emails: How Did My Email Address Get Out?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Email
In summary, the speaker has never received spam before but recently received three phishing emails. They suspect their email address was obtained through a brute force messaging system and express frustration and annoyance. They suggest using spamgourmet or zoemail as a solution to avoid spam. The listener clarifies that these services generate disposable email addresses and can be turned off once the business with a particular entity is done.
Mk
Never, have I ever gotten ANY spam. I just got three phishing emails in the last two days. I hope this isn't the start of a trend. How the hell did my email address get out? I think the emails were sent through a brute force kind of messaging system. I never ever give out my personal email to anyone (or any company) that I wouldn't expect and email from.

:frown: :grumpy: :cry: :yuck:

Well, I marked all both of them that weren't marked, as phishing attacks. So people won't fall for them. :smile: :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
Use spamgourmet or zoemail. Problem solved.

- Warren

To redirect spam from my account to another? I don't think so! AHHHH I'm pulling out my hair! I just got another one of those BEEP emails, from ebay, and it was dumb too, the html didn't even render.

If you'd actually look into what spamgourmet and zoemail DO, you'd understand that they are effectively the only real zero-spam services in existence.

- Warren

I did, last month or so, and I remember that it generates an email address for your spam to go to.

No, it doesn't. These service generate disposable email addresses. When your business with some entity is done, you can simply turn off the address, and they can no longer send you anything.

If/when some spammer gets ahold of a disposable address, you just disable it and get on with your life.

- Warren

1. How did my email address end up on a phishing email list?

There are several ways that your email address could have ended up on a phishing email list. Some common methods include data breaches, malware infections, and buying or selling email lists.

2. Can I prevent my email address from being used for phishing?

While there is no foolproof way to prevent your email address from being used for phishing, there are steps you can take to minimize the risk. These include using strong and unique passwords, being cautious about sharing your email address online, and being wary of suspicious emails.

3. Why do I keep receiving phishing emails from different senders?

Phishing emails are often sent out in bulk to thousands of email addresses. This means that even if your email address is only on one list, you may receive phishing emails from different senders.

4. Are phishing emails dangerous?

Phishing emails can be dangerous because they often contain links or attachments that can install malware on your device or steal your personal information. It's important to never click on links or open attachments from suspicious emails.

5. What should I do if I receive a phishing email?

If you receive a phishing email, the best course of action is to delete it immediately. Do not click on any links or open any attachments. You can also report the email to your email provider or to the appropriate authorities, such as the Federal Trade Commission.