How can I remove or neutralize SO2 in my homemade yeast culture solution?

• Thread starter xtracx
  • Start date
In summary: It sounds like xtracx is interested in culturing yeast to be used for home brewing. That way I read this question, the SO2 was used as a preservative in the whole grain cereal.
xtracx
Hi,
recently, I've gotten interested in culturing yeast for home-brewing. To keep the costs on the down low, I've made my culture solution (broth) from wholegrain cereal (containing essentil elements & malt extract). Problem is, this 'culture' contains SO2 as a preservative and obviously all micro-0rganisms cannot survive with SO2 around.

Hence, my question is how to removeor neutralise the SO2 in my solution. If possible it should be using home-based solutions to neutralise it. I was thinking of Alkalis, but I'm not too sure on how that will affect the yeast.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
I've sort of avoided this thread.

Um. Why do you have SO2 in your culture medium? And more important why are you culturing yeast?

If you can show me why you are doing what you seem to be doing maybe I can dredge up some ancient memories to help.

As an aside - professionals have trouble culturing and maintaining a genetically stable yeast culture. Not to mention invader bacteria.

It sounds like xtracx is interested in culturing yeast to be used for home brewing. That way I read this question, the SO2 was used as a preservative in the whole grain cereal.

jim mcnamara said:
I've sort of avoided this thread.

Um. Why do you have SO2 in your culture medium? And more important why are you culturing yeast?

One of my colleques had a degree from UCD in brewing - he indicted that keeping yeast cultures "truw" is very hard indeed. And, normally, the substrate you use for the yeast culture is not the product used for brewing - things need to be carefully controlled, especially in terms of keeping out wild yeasts or bacteria.

And the grain used for brewing always is cleaned first to remove bacteria, preservatives and pesticides. So all of this adds up to 'what is going on' in the first post... for me. anyway.

jim mcnamara said:
One of my colleques had a degree from UCD in brewing - he indicted that keeping yeast cultures "truw" is very hard indeed. And, normally, the substrate you use for the yeast culture is not the product used for brewing - things need to be carefully controlled, especially in terms of keeping out wild yeasts or bacteria.

I can believe that. When I cultured isolates of specific fungi, the medium and conditions needed to be carefully controlled to exclude contaminating organisms and maintain phytopathogenicity. If Manraj is still trying to do this empirically, perhaps can find some preservative-free grain to try on the next batch. :biggrin:

When I used to brew, my growth media was only dry malt extract (bought at the bewing centre), some yeast sediment left from a previous batch and tap water. The sediment were mostly yeast and the yeast extract would provide some of the vitamines and amino acid needed. The tap water would provide some minerals and the chlorine would get removed by the sterilisation step.

The yeast grew very well in the medium.

As far as contamination goes, go sterile techniques and sterility of the medium and the euqipement usually prevents a lot of problem. I`ve only had 2 batches contaminated out of the 100 batches that I`ve made.

1. What is a biochem yeast culture problem?

A biochem yeast culture problem refers to an issue in the growth or behavior of yeast cells in a laboratory setting. This can include problems with yeast reproduction, metabolism, or viability.

2. What are some common causes of biochem yeast culture problems?

Biochem yeast culture problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including contamination, incorrect nutrient levels, pH imbalances, temperature fluctuations, and genetic mutations.

3. How can biochem yeast culture problems be prevented?

To prevent biochem yeast culture problems, it is important to maintain a sterile environment, use appropriate growth media and nutrient levels, monitor and adjust pH and temperature, and regularly check for genetic mutations or changes in yeast behavior.

4. What are some methods for troubleshooting biochem yeast culture problems?

Troubleshooting biochem yeast culture problems may involve changing growth conditions, testing for contamination, adjusting nutrient levels, or conducting genetic analysis to identify any mutations or abnormalities.

5. How can biochem yeast culture problems be resolved?

The resolution of biochem yeast culture problems depends on the specific issue at hand. In some cases, changing growth conditions or correcting nutrient imbalances may be enough to resolve the problem. In other cases, more extensive troubleshooting and experimentation may be needed to identify and address the underlying cause.

Back