Estimating charges coulomb's law

In summary, the person is seeking help with a physics problem involving two hard rubber spheres being rubbed with fur and then suspended from a rod with two insulating strings. The spheres hang at an equilibrium angle of 19° from vertical. The person has attempted to use an equation for the separation of the balls but got the wrong answer. They are now asking for clarification on the problem and for help drawing a freebody diagram and understanding the forces acting on the spheres.
mussgo
this is my first time posting here in the forums right now I am really stuck with this problem
i already tried solving it on my own but i can't i will really apreciate any feedback or hint i could use to solve it U_U

Estimating Charge Two hard rubber spheres of mass ~20 g are rubbed vigorously with fur on a dry day. They are then suspended from a rod with two insulating strings of length 10 cm. They are observed to hang at equilibrium, 19° from vertical, as shown in Fig. 22-41. Estimate the amount of charge that is found on each sphere

The Attempt at a Solution

i saw a somewhat similar problem on my text and i tried ths equation

x= (2*k*L*q^2 / mg )^1/3

where L is the length of the cord and x the separation of the balls and my final answer was wrong :S did i use the right equation :S?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mussgo said:
3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b] i saw a somewhat similar problem on my text and i tried ths equation

x= (2*k*L*q^2 / mg )^1/3

Completely wrong.

The description of the problem is incomplete. (There is no figure.) Are the strings tied to the rod at the same point? If not, what is the separation?

In any case, there are three forces acting on a ball to keeep it in equilibrium. Can you draw a freebody diagram of that? Then you can split the forces into horz and vert dircns.

Do you know the force between two charges?

1. How do I calculate the electric force between two charges using Coulomb's Law?

To calculate the electric force between two charges, you will need to use Coulomb's Law formula, which is F = k * (q1 * q2)/d^2. F is the electric force, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges in Coulombs, d is the distance between the charges in meters, and k is the proportionality constant, which is equal to 8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2. Simply plug in the values and solve for F to calculate the electric force.

2. What is the difference between electric force and electric field?

Electric force is the force exerted between two electrically charged objects, while electric field is the region around a charged object where the force of that charge can act on other objects. Electric force is a vector quantity, while electric field is a vector field.

3. How does distance affect the electric force between two charges?

According to Coulomb's Law, the electric force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the electric force decreases. Similarly, if the distance decreases, the electric force increases.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between more than two charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be extended to calculate the electric force between more than two charges. This is done by considering the individual forces between each pair of charges and then adding them together vectorially. The resulting force is the net electric force acting on the charges.

5. What is the role of the proportionality constant (k) in Coulomb's Law?

The proportionality constant, k, is a fundamental constant that relates the electric force between two charges to their magnitudes and the distance between them. Its value is determined by the properties of the medium in which the charges are located. In a vacuum, k is equal to 8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2, while in other mediums, its value may be different.