Want to Learn More About Iran's Culture? Watch Rick Steves' Europe: Iran!

• News
  • Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Europe
In summary, Tehran has the same air quality issues as other big cities in the Middle East, and the traffic is similar to that in other countries in the region. Bernard Lewis's book, The Middle East, covers the origins of Islam and the deposing of Mosaddeq.
Cyrus
Interesting video.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/94075/rick-steves-europe-rick-steves’-iran [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a fascinating place. It's a great video.

Tehran is a 'mile high' - like Denver - and has the same air quality issues, although Tehran's air looks more like that in LA or Mexico City.

The description of Tehran traffic reminds me of similar description of traffic in Italy, especially Rome, or Greece, specifically Athens. :biggrin:

I'm currently reading Bernard Lewis's "The Middle East". I'm almost finished the chapter on the origins of Islam, which covers some of the early history of the area, the periodic invasions by various groups, and the divergence of Sunni and Shia.

I think people outside (primarily in the west) of Iran need to appreciate the significance of the Anglo-American involvement in deposing a democratically elected leader, Mosaddeq, in 1953, and the installation of the Shah (not democratically elected).

Most of Iran's oil reserves were in the Persian Gulf area and had been developed by the British Anglo-Iranian Oil company and exported to Britain. For a number of reasons — a growing consciousness of how little Iran was getting from the Anglo-Iranian Oil company for its oil; refusal of AIOC to offer of a ‘50–50% profit sharing deal' to Iran as Aramco had to Saudi Arabia; anger over Iran's defeat and occupation by the Allied powers — nationalization of oil was an important and popular issue with "a broad cross-section of the Iranian people."
Saikal, Amin The Rise and Fall of the Shah, Princeton University Press, 1980, p. 38.
ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammed_Mosaddeq (neutrality of article is disputed)

Last edited:
Even with the minder, Steves is lucky the Iranians did not arrest his entire crew on conspiracy charges about aiding the election dissenters.

Thanks for putting up that video, we don't get to see Iran like that on any news or documentary channel.

I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Iran and taught Electronics in Farsi in a technical trade school. After that, I went back there for an American defense contractor and worked with the Shah's Air Force. I was (am) fairly fluent in Farsi (read, write, and speak) and have lots of friends all over the country. We Americans can learn more about the Iranian culture thanks to excellent videos such as Steve's Iran. This may help bring us closer to better relations between the people, not withstanding the stupid governments. Thanks for posting it.

1. What is the purpose of "Rick Steves' Europe: Iran"?

The purpose of "Rick Steves' Europe: Iran" is to provide an educational and cultural travel experience through the eyes of the host, Rick Steves, as he explores the country of Iran.

2. Is it safe for tourists to visit Iran?

While every country has its own set of risks, the overall safety level for tourists in Iran is generally considered to be high. However, it is important for travelers to follow local customs and laws, and to stay informed of any potential political or social tensions in the country.

3. What kind of information about Iran can viewers expect to learn from this show?

"Rick Steves' Europe: Iran" covers a wide range of topics and information about the country, including its history, culture, cuisine, architecture, and current events. Viewers can also expect to gain insight into the everyday lives of Iranians and gain a better understanding of the country's political and social landscape.

4. Are there any specific regions or cities in Iran that are featured in the show?

Yes, the show covers several cities and regions in Iran, including Tehran, Isfahan, Shiraz, Persepolis, and the countryside of northern Iran. Each location offers a unique perspective on the country and its people.

5. What sets "Rick Steves' Europe: Iran" apart from other travel shows about the country?

One of the main things that sets this show apart is the approach of the host, Rick Steves. He focuses on cultural immersion and connecting with locals, rather than just visiting popular tourist destinations. This allows viewers to gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for the country and its people.