Idempotent Matrices: Proving PQ+QP=0 implies PQ=QP=0

• Thread starter td21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
QEDIn summary, if P,Q are idempotent, i.e. P^2=P and Q^2=Q, and PQ+QP=0, then PQ=QP=0. This is shown by substituting PQP=0 into PQ=(-PQP).
td21
Gold Member

Homework Statement

P,Q is idempotent, i.e. P^2=P and Q^2=Q.
Show that: If PQ+QP=0, PQ=QP=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

PQ+QP=0
PQ=-QP
PPQ=-PQP
PPQP=-PQPP
PQP=-PQP
PQP=0

I can only show PQP=0, but how to show PQ=QP=0?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
td21 said:

Homework Statement

P,Q is idempotent, i.e. P^2=P and Q^2=Q.
Show that: If PQ+QP=0, PQ=QP=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

PQ+QP=0
PQ=-QP
PPQ=-PQP
PPQP=-PQPP
PQP=-PQP
PQP=0

I can only show PQP=0, but how to show PQ=QP=0?
Thanks.

I really don't think you want me to tell you. You are SO close. Look at the third line where you showed PPQ=-PQP.

Dick said:
I really don't think you want me to tell you. You are SO close. Look at the third line where you showed PPQ=-PQP.
Thanks! But i still have trouble...
From 3rd line:
PPQ=-PQP
then
PQ=-PQP
PQQ=-PQPQ
PQ=-PQPQ
PQ(PQ+I)=0
PQ=0 or PQ=-I

Similarly,QP=0 or PQ=-I

Conclusion:
PQ=QP=0 or PQ=QP=-I

but still cannot show PQ=QP=0 ??

td21 said:
Thanks! But i still have trouble...
From 3rd line:
PPQ=-PQP
then
PQ=-PQP
PQQ=-PQPQ
PQ=-PQPQ
PQ(PQ+I)=0
PQ=0 or PQ=-I

Similarly,QP=0 or PQ=-I

Conclusion:
PQ=QP=0 or PQ=QP=-I

but still cannot show PQ=QP=0 ??

You completely overshot the goal. You showed PQ=(-PQP) and PQP=0. Just substitute the second into the first. So PQ=(-0)=0.

1. What is a quick matrix question?

A quick matrix question is a type of survey question that presents multiple options in a table format, where respondents can select one or more answers in each row. It is used to gather data on multiple variables in a concise and efficient manner.

2. How is a quick matrix question different from other types of survey questions?

A quick matrix question allows for a higher level of complexity and specificity compared to other types of survey questions, such as multiple-choice or open-ended questions. It also saves time for both the respondents and the researchers, as it can gather multiple data points in one question.

3. What are the advantages of using a quick matrix question?

Quick matrix questions are advantageous because they are easy to understand and answer for respondents, they provide a structured format for gathering data, and they save time and effort for researchers. They also allow for a deeper analysis of multiple variables.

4. Are there any limitations to using quick matrix questions?

While quick matrix questions are useful in many cases, they may not be appropriate for all types of surveys. They can be difficult to design and may require some technical knowledge to set up. Additionally, if not designed carefully, they may result in biased or misleading data.

5. How can I effectively use quick matrix questions in my research?

To effectively use quick matrix questions, it is important to carefully design them, ensuring that the options are clear and mutually exclusive. It is also recommended to use them in conjunction with other types of survey questions to gather a comprehensive understanding of the topic at hand. Finally, it is crucial to properly analyze and interpret the data collected from quick matrix questions to draw accurate conclusions.