Questions about % difference, inherent error, and % relative average difference.

E.g. if the inherent error is the maximum value of 1.0% and the sdev of the measurements is 0.5%, the latter could still occur by chance.In summary, the conversation discusses the results of an experiment which has a % difference of 0.679%, an inherent error of 0.7%, and a % RAD of 0.941%. The inherent error is the error due to the use of laboratory equipment and is slightly larger than the % difference. This suggests that the equipment may have played a role in the difference between the actual value and the theoretical value. The % RAD is a measure of precision and if it is larger than the inherent error, it may indicate that human error played
crimsonn
1. Done in a lab: % difference: 0.679%, inherent error: 0.7%, % RAD: 0.941%. Anyway, I'm just having trouble interpreting what they mean in comparison to each other. What does the inherent error say about the % difference? And what does it mean if my %RAD is greater than my inherent error?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know what the inherent error tells me about the %difference. I know that the inherent error is the error due to the use of certain laboratory equipment and is unavoidable for the most part. The % difference means how far you were from the theoretical value. But what do they have to do with one other? The inherent error in this case is slightly larger than that of the percent difference. I'm guessing here, does this mean that there is a good chance that the % error due to the equipment (inherent error) might have been the cause of the % difference? If it is smaller than the inherent error, then it is in the realm of possibility that the difference in the actual value was due to the equipment right?

% RAD is a measure of precision and how precise the data points are to each other and the average. If this is larger than the inherent error it means that there was more human error than error due to the equipment?

Physics news on Phys.org
crimsonn said:
does this mean that there is a good chance that the % error due to the equipment (inherent error) might have been the cause of the % difference?

It is hard to answer your questions confidently without a description of the experimental procedure.
Was it a single measurement or a set of independent measurements? If the second, is the %diff calculated on individual measurements or on their mean?
What is the distribution of the inherent error? E.g. is it uniform, as may arise from reading off a graduated scale or a digital output, or more Gaussian? If uniform, does the inherent error quoted represent the maximum or one sdev?

Assuming the above refers to an individual measurement, yes. You could make this more concrete by expressing the inherent error as a probability distribution and seeing what odds that gives for such an observed error occurring by chance.

crimsonn said:
% RAD is a measure of precision and how precise the data points are to each other and the average

Is it the standard deviation of the measurements? If so, no, it could still happen by chance if the inherent error is not the maximum possible value.

What is % difference?

% difference is a measurement used to compare two values and determine the percentage of change between them. It is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the two values, dividing it by the average of the two values, and then multiplying by 100.

What is inherent error?

Inherent error, also known as systematic error, refers to the consistent deviation of a measurement from the true value. It is caused by factors such as equipment calibration, environmental conditions, or human error. Inherent error can be reduced through proper calibration and control measures.

What is % relative average difference?

% relative average difference is a measurement used to compare the average of multiple values to a standard or expected value. It is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the average value and the standard value, dividing it by the standard value, and then multiplying by 100.

How is % difference different from % relative average difference?

% difference and % relative average difference are similar in that they both compare two values. However, % difference compares two specific values, while % relative average difference compares the average of multiple values to a standard value. Additionally, % relative average difference is often used to compare the accuracy of a set of measurements, while % difference is used to determine the change between two specific values.

How can I minimize errors in my measurements?

To minimize errors in measurements, it is important to use properly calibrated equipment and follow precise measurement techniques. Additionally, repeating measurements and taking the average can help reduce random errors. It is also important to understand and account for any inherent errors in the measurement process. Regular maintenance and quality control measures can also help minimize errors in measurements.