Solve Spice Simulation Error: " .END Card Missing

• Thread starter ranger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simulation
In summary, the netlist that I copied and pasted into an input file does not work in MicroCAP8 SPICE. SPICE can simulate this circuit though.Try adding an .op card to your first netlist.
ranger
Gold Member
I'm currently learning spice. I need help with a very simple circuit.
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/Ref/01004.png

Here is the netlist:

Example netlist
v1 1 0 dc 15
r1 1 0 2.2k
r2 1 2 3.3k
r3 2 0 150
.end

When I run it in spice(2g6) I get:

Code:
******* 12/04/10 ********  SPICE 2G.6    15/3/83 ******** 21:24:57 ****
**** EXAMPLE NETLIST                                                                 
****     INPUT LISTING                    TEMPERATURE =   27.000 DEG C
***********************************************************************V1 1 0 DC 15    
R1 1 0 2.2K     
R2 1 2 3.3K     
R3 2 0 150      

*ERROR*:  .END card missingInput deck (file) contains no data.

The tutorial I am using says to do exactly that, but yet I get this error. As you can see I have .end in my netlist. Whats wrong?

--thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is it possible your version of spice is case-sensitive? Have you tried using .END instead of .end?

- Warren

I still get the same error with .END

Its weird though, doing a simple RC example netlist:

Basic RC circuit
r 1 2 1.0
*l 1 2 1.0
c 2 0 1.0
vin 1 0 pulse (0 1) ac 1
.tran 0.1 7.0
*.ac dec 10 .01 10
.plot tran v(2) i(vin)
*.plot ac vdb(2) xlog
.end

The simulation goes about just fine.

Example netlist
v1 1 0 dc 15
r1 1 0 2.2k
r2 1 2 3.3k
r3 2 0 150
.end
Looks like it should work. I'll run it tomorrow at work (I'm at home now) to see what happens. In the mean time, are there any hidden characters maybe in the file? Some goofy ctrl-oops character that crept in?

PS -- Very cool links in your footer. I'll have to spend some time browsing those pages more...

Looks like it should work. I'll run it tomorrow at work (I'm at home now) to see what happens. In the mean time, are there any hidden characters maybe in the file? Some goofy ctrl-oops character that crept in?
Unfortunately they arent any. At first I simply copied the netlist, but after I typed them out and saved them in a new file, I still get the same error.

You text file runs fine in my MicroCAP8 SPICE simulator. I copied your text from your post and pasted it into an input file, and ran a transient analysis. MC8 ended up with this file after the transient analysis:

Example netlist
v1 1 0 dc 15
r1 1 0 2.2k
r2 1 2 3.3k
r3 2 0 150
.TRAN 2e-008 1u 0
.TEMP 27
.PLOT TRAN v(1) v(2) 0,37.5
.end

Using your netlist with .TRAN, etc. I still get the same error. Mayb there us something wrong with the program?

I got the program from http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/ (towards the bottom of the page).

V1 1 0 DC 15
R1 1 0 2.2K
R2 1 2 3.3K
R3 2 0 150
.TRAN 2E-008 1U 0
.TEMP 27
.PLOT TRAN V(1) V(2) 0,37.5

*ERROR*: .END card missing

Its like it refuses to read .END

What OS are you running SPICE on? Is MicroCAP8 SPICE free?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've run MicroCAP on NT and XP. This current MC8 installation is running on my XP PC. I don't know if there is a lower-cost student version of MicroCAP, but you could check Spectrum Software's website:

http://www.spectrum-soft.com/index.shtm

Have you looked in the Help menu of your program to see if it requires something special for the .end statement? Does it come with any sample files? Do you have any friends who are also using that program?

Have you looked in the Help menu of your program to see if it requires something special for the .end statement? Does it come with any sample files? Do you have any friends who are also using that program?

There is no help file, all I was told to download were three files (no help or samples). All of my friends are using multisim instead :)

I've found a sample netlist (elsewhere):
Code:
Basic RC circuit
r 1 2 1.0
*l 1 2 1.0
c 2 0 1.0
vin 1 0 pulse (0 1) ac 1
.tran 0.1 7.0
*.ac dec 10 .01 10
.plot tran v(2) i(vin)
*.plot ac vdb(2) xlog
.end

SPICE can simulate this circuit though.

Try adding an .op card to your first netlist. You didn't really instruct the program to do an analysis, that might be the problem.

pervect said:
Try adding an .op card to your first netlist. You didn't really instruct the program to do an analysis, that might be the problem.

Code:
Example netlist
V1 1 0 DC 15
R1 1 0 2.2K
R2 1 2 3.3K
R3 2 0 150 
.end
.op

Output:
Code:
******* 13/04/10 ********  SPICE 2G.6    15/3/83 ******** 15:55:19 ****
**** MULTIPLE DC SOURCES                                                             

V1 1 0 DC 15    
R1 1 0 2.2K     
R2 1 2 3.3K     
R3 2 0 150      
.END    


******* 13/04/10 ********  SPICE 2G.6    15/3/83 ******** 15:55:19 ****
**** MULTIPLE DC SOURCES                                                             
****     SMALL SIGNAL BIAS SOLUTION       TEMPERATURE =   27.000 DEG C

NODE   VOLTAGE     NODE   VOLTAGE

(  1)   15.0000    (  2)    0.6522

VOLTAGE SOURCE CURRENTS

NAME       CURRENT

V1       -1.117E-02

TOTAL POWER DISSIPATION:   1.67E-01 WATTS

JOB CONCLUDED

TOTAL JOB TIME            0.01

That did the job! It works. Its funny how the guy that wrote the tutorial didnt mention this. What is .op for pervect? Thanks.

I suspect that you may actually need a newline character after the .end... i.e., the last line of the file should be blank. Worth a try, yes?

.op runs an operating-point (bias point) analysis.

- Warren

chroot said:
I suspect that you may actually need a newline character after the .end... i.e., the last line of the file should be blank. Worth a try, yes?

- Warren

That newline did the trick.

Code:

******* 13/04/10 ********  SPICE 2G.6    15/3/83 ******** 18:27:58 ****
**** EXAMPLE NETLIST                                                                 

V1 1 0 DC 25    
R1 1 0 2.2K     
R2 1 2 7.3K     
R3 2 0 150      
.END    


**** EXAMPLE NETLIST                                                                 
****     SMALL SIGNAL BIAS SOLUTION       TEMPERATURE =   27.000 DEG C

NODE   VOLTAGE     NODE   VOLTAGE

(  1)   25.0000    (  2)    0.5034

VOLTAGE SOURCE CURRENTS

NAME       CURRENT

V1       -1.472E-02

TOTAL POWER DISSIPATION:   3.68E-01 WATTS

JOB CONCLUDED

TOTAL JOB TIME            0.00


****                                                                                 

*ERROR*:  .END card missing

It still says that .end is missing. But the simulation goes through though.

What is a Spice simulation error?

A Spice simulation error is an error that occurs during a simulation using Spice software, which is a program used to simulate electronic circuits. These errors can be caused by a variety of factors, such as incorrect circuit design or syntax errors in the input file.

What does the ".END" card do in Spice simulation?

The ".END" card is used to indicate the end of the input file in Spice simulation. It is necessary to include this card in the input file for the simulation to run properly. Without it, the simulation will not know when the input file ends and will result in an error.

Why does the ".END" card sometimes go missing in Spice simulation?

The ".END" card can go missing in Spice simulation due to various reasons, such as accidentally deleting it from the input file or not including it in the first place. It can also be caused by syntax errors in the input file that prevent the simulation from correctly reading the card.

How can I fix the ".END" card missing error in Spice simulation?

To fix the ".END" card missing error, you can add the card back to the input file if it has been accidentally deleted. If the error is caused by syntax errors, you will need to go through the input file and correct any errors before the simulation can run successfully.

Are there any alternatives to using the ".END" card in Spice simulation?

No, the ".END" card is a crucial component in Spice simulation and does not have an alternative. It is necessary to indicate the end of the input file and without it, the simulation will not run properly. However, there are other simulation programs available that may use different methods to indicate the end of the input file.