F=μmg. How was μ calculated? Obviously experiments were

• Thread starter luckis11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiments
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the coefficient of friction (μ) and its empirical nature. The participants also mention the types of friction (static and kinetic), the challenges of predicting friction in different weather and road conditions, and the use of experiments to determine μ. They also mention examples from a physics textbook and question the validity of the free body diagrams and force analysis. The conversation concludes with a request for proof or evidence to support the force analysis.
luckis11
F=μmg. How was μ calculated? Obviously experiments were needed. So, done the experiments, what's the exact conclusionology that μ is that much for that type of ground and that much for the other type of ground?

Physics news on Phys.org

luckis11 said:
F=μmg. How was μ calculated? Obviously experiments were needed. So, done the experiments, what's the exact conclusionology that μ is that much for that type of ground and that much for the other type of ground?

If you're referring the friction of the road vs. tire, I'd say that's μ becomes more of a 'best guess' because weather conditions will always be different, not to mention the way each road and tire is made and the composition of materials used for both. For the same road and tire, friction (both static and kinetic) is different for hot dry weather vs rainy weather. Even for non rainy condition but different temperatures, the friction is different. Thus auto racing is more of an art form than science, IMO. If you ever push your car to its limit, you'll understand why I say it's more of an art than science. It could be a science but who has the time to do the experiments for each and every (unlimited) possible combination of conditions. And how practical is that? And how accurate do you think the experiments will be? Consider that tire doesn't have much grip (read friction) at beginning of the drive for the day, as you drive, the tires heat up and provides a better grip. But extended driving on dry weather will over heat the tire to beyond its optimal performance. That's why in professional auto racing, they switch out the tire while refueling.

/mib

Lots here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_of_friction

Note that the text says "u" is "empirical"...

that means we have to measure it because we don't understand it well enough to make predictions based on mathematical models.
Also note there are two basic types of friction..static and dynamic...if your question was about auto racing, both will probably be of interest...when dynamic friction drops to a cetain level, rolling friction ensues...

Kinetic friction. Ι found the answer. They could had found the different values for μ by trying different materials solving the example 7.7 at H.Young's physics, setting F=(sin60?)μmg.

Last edited:

Is H.Young wrong at example 7.7 or am I confused? Shouldn't the upward speed be (sin30)5=2.5? That gives that the box cannot rise above 0.32metres whereas he says it goes up to 0.8metres having faced friction too?

It's because of the free body diagram which is based e.g. that when it falls it does not cover the height with the same acceleration... etc. Forget it, if there's some mistake there's also at the free-body diagram (besides one mistake at the example 7.7 assuming the free-body diagramm is correct, but there my question can only be answered by serious doubters).

Last edited:

luckis11 said:
Is H.Young wrong at example 7.7 or am I confused? Shouldn't the upward speed be (sin30)5=2.5? That gives that the box cannot rise above 0.32metres whereas he says it goes up to 0.8metres having faced friction too?
Please describe the problem. Sounds like example 7.6, not 7.7, where there's a crate being slid up a ramp with friction. If that's the problem you mean, then you are told that the initial velocity is 5 m/s up the ramp. (Don't take the vertical component of that velocity.)

Forget it. Do you know where I can find the proofs that the free body diagram is true?

luckis11 said:
Forget it. Do you know where I can find the proofs that the free body diagram is true?
What free body diagram?

The analysis of forces at H.Young's examples 5-9, 5-17, 5-18.

luckis11 said:
The analysis of forces at H.Young's examples 5-9, 5-17, 5-18.
I don't see any problem with those examples. (Assuming we have the same book, the 12th edition.) Did you have a specific issue?

No "problem". I asked for the proof.

The empirical data is the proof. Friction is not well enough understood to develop the sort of proof that you want. What they did was to run a series of experiments and base their value on those experiments. What has been found is that once you find a value for μ it is fairly constant.

luckis11 said:
No "problem". I asked for the proof.
What do you mean by "proof"? I thought you had a question about how to draw a free body diagram? Is there something that you think is done wrong? Be specific.

Forget about the constant μ. Regarding H.Young's examples 5-9, 5-17, 5-18, alone:

By proof I mean that instead of wondering WHY this force analysis is true (if it is true), the BECAUSE should be ready somewhere as either logical proof or experimental evidence with no logical explanation.

luckis11 said:
By proof I mean that instead of wondering why this force analysis is true (if it is true), the because should be ready somewhere as either logical proof or unexplained experimental evidence.
Sorry, but I have no idea what you're looking for. To do a force analysis one identifies all the forces acting, draws a free body diagram, and applies Newton's laws. You cannot tell whether a particular analysis is correct without actually looking at the details.

Do you think there's something wrong with some free body diagram you saw in the text? Or some force analysis. Please be specific.

luckis11 said:
Forget about the constant μ. Regarding H.Young's examples 5-9, 5-17, 5-18, alone:

By proof I mean that instead of wondering WHY this force analysis is true (if it is true), the BECAUSE should be ready somewhere as either logical proof or experimental evidence with no logical explanation.
Again: Be specific. What exactly in those examples is troubling you?

Let me remind you that Force is the mdu/dt that happens to the mass. Thus, e.g. why the mdu/dt because of gravity should be equal to mgsin30? Another example: The force n goes upwards, whereas no mass goes toward that direction.

Thus it's most probably all correct, but...why?

Last edited:

luckis11 said:
Let me remind you that Force is the mdu/dt that happens to the mass.
Let me remind you that that's only useful if the force in question is the only force acting on the mass. When multiple forces are involved, mdu/dt gives the net force.
Thus, e.g. why the mdu/dt because of gravity should be equal to mgsin30?
The force of gravity is mg acting down. If gravity were the only force acting, the object would accelerate downward with du/dt = g. But gravity isn't the only force acting on an object on an incline.

The force of gravity, like any vector, can be broken into components. mgsin30 is the component of gravity parallel to the incline.
Another example: The force n goes upwards, whereas no mass goes toward that direction.
The normal force is perpendicular to the surface. There's no net force in that direction, so there's no acceleration in that direction. (The normal force and the perpendicular component of gravity add to zero.)

If mdu/dt is only the net force, how are the non-net forces defined? Vectors of what?

Last edited:

luckis11 said:
If mdu/dt is only the net force, how are the non-net forces defined?
You can use mdu/dt if you isolate the force so that it's the only one acting.

n=mgcos30 can "act" (happen) only when mgsin30 happens. But when mgsin30 happens it's the only one which happens as a mdu/dt. Then how can I isolate n as a mdu/dt?

Haha, "conclusionology". I may steal that word...

luckis11 said:
n=mgcos30 can "act" (happen) only when mgsin30 happens.
The components 'act' whenever gravity acts.
But when mgsin30 happens it's the only one which happens as a mdu/dt.
That's because mgsin30 is the net force.
Then how can I isolate n as a mdu/dt?
Since the normal force is a 'reactive' force, you can't (at least not in this scenario). But why would you want to?

It seems you changed your mind and now you say that mg and n cannot be mdu/dt. Then, what are they, since the definition of force is mdu/dt?

luckis11 said:
It seems you changed your mind and now you say that mg and n cannot be mdu/dt.
Huh? Recall that I said that it's the net force on an object that equals mdu/dt. If you can arrange for a given force to be the only force acting, then you can directly apply mdu/dt.
Then, what are they, since the definition of force is mdu/dt?
That's a 'generic' definition of force. Not very useful here when multiple forces act. You can obviously have forces acting without a mass accelerating.

Which are "obviously", what?

luckis11 said:
Which are "obviously", what?
Huh?

n and mg, what are they? They cannot be mdu/dt as you said, therefore they are vectors of what?

luckis11 said:
n and mg, what are they?
They are forces, specifically electromagnetic and gravitational forces.
They cannot be mdu/dt as you said, therefore they are vectors of what?
You are getting hung up on mdu/dt as some sort of 'definition' of force; much better to think of mdu/dt (Newton's 2nd law) as a property of force in general.

No comment.

You can obviously have forces acting without a mass accelerating.

What?
No you can't.

The sum of acceleration due to all forces may equate to 0, but that just implies at least two equal and opposite accelerations.

_PJ_ said:
The sum of acceleration due to all forces may equate to 0, but that just implies at least two equal and opposite accelerations.
Nah. There's only one acceleration. There are multiple forces acting, not multiple accelerations.

Doc Al said:
Nah. There's only one acceleration. There are multiple forces acting, not multiple accelerations.

If two equal and opposite forces act on an entity, they each provide an acceleration.

Imagine a car driving along a road. It has the engine providing acceleration forwards, plus gravity providing acceleration downwards. Two forces, two accelerations.

A force is only a force because it accelerates (confers energy to) an entity.
Acceleration is only a name for "result of action of a force"

So the two are mutually interchangeable in this sense.

_PJ_ said:
If two equal and opposite forces act on an entity, they each provide an acceleration.
While you can imagine that if you like, it's misleading. Luckily, since net force and acceleration are proportional you'll 'get the right answer' despite a confusing physical picture.

Forces describe interactions whereas acceleration describes motion. You can have multiple forces acting, but only one resultant acceleration. When two equal and opposite forces act there is no acceleration.

Imagine a car driving along a road. It has the engine providing acceleration forwards, plus gravity providing acceleration downwards. Two forces, two accelerations.
Nope. Multiple forces may act, but the car has but a single acceleration.

A force is only a force because it accelerates (confers energy to) an entity.
Nope. Forces don't have to accelerate or confer energy to an object in order to exist.
Acceleration is only a name for "result of action of a force"
Better to say that the acceleration is the result of action of all the forces acting on a body.