Is There a Complex Number Equal to Its Own Exponential?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a complex number that is equal to its exponential, a seemingly simple question but not easy to prove or disprove. The equation exp(z)=z has a solution given by z=-W(-1) where W(\cdot) is the Lambert W function. However, there is still discussion about finding a more elegant solution and input is welcome.
SebastianG
Hello, everybody!

I'm a Maths/Physics student at Ecuador. Sorry if my English sucks, i'll try to do my best... Some fellow Physics buddy asked me if there was a way to fin a complex number that would be equal to its exponential... it is a very simple question to understand, but not to easy to prove or disprove (at least not for me, and I've tried it for a day).

So, this is what I got:

z = Ln (z)

and we would have to solve these equations:

ln r = rcos O
O = rsen O

that would be hard to solve algebraically, I guess... I wouldn't want a numeric aproach, so maybe there is a more ellegant way to find an example of disprove the hypothesis. (I already tried Taylor expansions)

Well, please try to give some ideas on the subject.

Have a good one!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks harmless enough, but it's not.

It looks harmless enough, but it's not.

The equation [tex]exp(z)=z[/tex] has a solution given by [tex]z=-W(-1)[/tex] and, if you put [tex]z=x+iy[/tex], then the solution is [tex]\left\{\begin{array}{cc}x=-iy-W(-1)\\y=y\end{array}\right.[/tex].

Where [tex]W(\cdot)[/tex] is the Lambert W function; for an excellent reference, see

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LambertW-Function.html

hmmm...

Hmmm ... Matlab gave me this answer: W(-1) = -0.3181... + i 1.3372...

Which doesn't seem to work. Maybe I made a calculation mistake (because I only typed it once on a computer at my school, and wrote the result), but it seems to make sense, since you can work z = exp (z) to

z = exp (z)
z*exp(-z) = 1
(-z)*exp(-z) = -1

Which indicates that W(-1) should be the value for Z (on the complex form of the Lambert-W function, which I assumed was W(z)*exp[W(z)] = F(z) )

Anyway, this function has been quite a discovery for me! I'll see if I can find an answer, you can still give me some more ideas.

oops

Nevermind... just a silly mistake...

Z = - W(-1) is the answer.

1. What is a complex variable?

A complex variable is a mathematical concept that involves numbers with both real and imaginary parts. These numbers are expressed in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (with i being the imaginary unit).

2. How is a complex variable different from a real variable?

A complex variable differs from a real variable in that it has both a real and imaginary part, whereas a real variable only has a single real value. Complex variables are often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to model and solve problems that involve multiple dimensions.

3. What are some applications of complex variables?

Complex variables have a wide range of applications, including in electrical engineering, fluid dynamics, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in various mathematical techniques, such as contour integration and conformal mapping, to solve complex problems.

4. How do you plot a complex variable?

A complex variable can be plotted on the complex plane, which is similar to the Cartesian plane used for plotting real numbers. The real part of the complex number is plotted on the horizontal axis, while the imaginary part is plotted on the vertical axis. This allows for a visual representation of the complex number and its relationship to other complex numbers.

5. What are some common operations performed on complex variables?

Some common operations performed on complex variables include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Other operations include finding the modulus (absolute value) and argument (angle) of a complex number, as well as taking powers and roots of complex numbers. These operations are essential for solving equations involving complex variables and for understanding the geometry of the complex plane.