Finding the Electrical Field from the Electric Potential

In summary, we are trying to solve for the electric field at a specific point in a region of space with a given electric potential. The formula used is E = V/d, where V is the electric potential and d is the distance. However, after plugging in the values for x and y, the calculated electric potential is incorrect. It is suggested to use partial derivatives, specifically the vector operator \vec{\nabla}, to solve the problem.
Gramma2005
I am trying to solve this problem:

The electric potential in a region of space is V = 210x^2 - 270y^2, where x and y are in meters. Find the E-field at (3m, 1m)

So I started with:

[tex]E = \frac{V}{d}[/tex]

so then I plugged x and y into the electric potential equation and got

V= -200 Volts

Then I multiplied it by the distance [tex]d=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

Unfortunately this is not the right answer. Perhaps someone could show me where I went wrong

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\vec{E}=-\vec{gradV}[/tex]

what is [tex]\vec{gradV}[/tex]?

If you used partial derivatives that would help you out.

[tex]\vec{E} = -\vec{\nabla}V[/tex][tex]\vec{\nabla} \equiv \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \hat{\mathbf{x}} + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} \hat{\mathbf{y}} + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \hat{\mathbf{z}}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field?

The electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential, meaning that the electric field points in the direction of decreasing potential. In mathematical terms, this can be expressed as E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and ∇ is the gradient operator.

2. How do you calculate the electric field from the electric potential?

To find the electric field from the electric potential, you can use the equation E = -∇V, where ∇ is the gradient operator. This involves taking the partial derivatives of the electric potential with respect to the x, y, and z directions, and then adding them together to get the total electric field vector at a given point.

3. What unit is used to measure electric field?

The SI unit for electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C). However, it can also be expressed in volts per meter (V/m) or other derived units such as joules per coulomb (J/C).

4. Can the electric field be negative?

Yes, the electric field can be negative. The direction of the electric field depends on the sign of the charges creating it. If the charges are positive, the electric field points away from them and is considered positive. If the charges are negative, the electric field points towards them and is considered negative.

5. How does the electric field affect charged particles?

The electric field exerts a force on charged particles, causing them to either attract or repel each other depending on their charges. The magnitude and direction of this force can be calculated using the equation F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, and E is the electric field. This force can cause particles to move in a specific direction, thus influencing their motion and behavior.