Why do we feel lighter when accelerating on a bike downhill?

• Thread starter freswood
  • Start date
In summary: Basically, when you brake, the bike's friction against the ground gives you a normal reaction force. This normal reaction force is greater than the weight of the bike, so you feel heavier than normal.
freswood

Homework Statement

A guy is riding a bike down a hill. He feels "lighter" when he accelerates than when he's braking. Why?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that a higher normal reaction force than weight was responsible for feeling "light". But this can't be right. Is it something to do with the fact that less friction is acting on him when he's not braking?

Thanks :smile: I just need a really *basic* answer because the physics we're doing at the moment is just very basic.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in thinking about reaction force. There are two things you need to consider here - apparent weight (which we feel) and actual weight. The actual weight is the downward force of gravity. Usually apparent weight and actual weight are the same, but when we are accelerating or some other force other than gravity and normal force is acting on us, the two are different. Also since this is crudely similar to free-fall (for which we feel no apparent weight). Can you now tell why he feels lighter?

Last edited:
freswood said:

Homework Statement

A guy is riding a bike down a hill. He feels "lighter" when he accelerates than when he's braking. Why?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that a higher normal reaction force than weight was responsible for feeling "light".

You are in the right direction although you have it backward. A normal force higher than the weight means that the person is feeling heavier than normal (and vice versa). Now, with a simple free body diagram it should be clear why the person feels heavier when braking (in what direction is the acceleration? That will be the direction of the *net* force, which will tell you something about the normal force exterted by the seat on the person).

Ah so is it because when he's braking, there is friction from the bike acting up the slope, which has a vertical component that adds to normal reaction force to give a higher upward force? Sorry, I know that's very wordy.

I hope I have this right :biggrin:

What makes us feel heavy?

1. What causes the sensation of feeling heavy?

The sensation of feeling heavy is caused by the force of gravity acting on our bodies. This force is dependent on our mass and the mass of the Earth.

2. Why do we feel heavier on Earth compared to other planets?

The force of gravity is greater on Earth compared to other planets due to its larger mass. This means that the gravitational pull on our bodies is stronger, making us feel heavier.

3. Can our weight affect how heavy we feel?

Yes, our weight can affect how heavy we feel. The more mass we have, the more gravitational force is acting on us, making us feel heavier.

4. Why do we feel heavier when we are tired?

When we are tired, our muscles are fatigued and our posture may be affected. This can make it more difficult for us to support our own body weight, causing us to feel heavier.

5. How does the distribution of our weight affect how heavy we feel?

The distribution of our weight can affect how heavy we feel. For example, if we carry a heavy load on one side of our body, we may feel off-balance and therefore feel heavier on that side.