Why do I feel centrifugal acceleration when standing on a revolving ball?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of centrifugal force and its application in different scenarios. It explains how standing on a ball can create a centrifugal force that pulls you away from the center of the circle, and how this force is related to the distance between the body and the center of the non-inertial frame. The conversation also explores the direction of the centrifugal force in a falling body scenario and how it can be perceived as a normal force on the feet.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
Let's suppose that I have a ball attached with a string, and I'm making it spin.
Relevant Equations
Newton's equations
If a "stand" on the ball, I would feel a centrifugal force, which would be pulling me out of the circle. But in the equation of centrifugal force we have ##\vec r##, which is the vector that goes from the centre of the non inertial frame to the body in motion. But if I'm on the ball, my system is the ball, and the distance from the system (the ball) to the particle (the ball) is zero, so why do I feel centrifugal acceleration?
Then, if I want to consider the centrifugal force of a body falling from a skyscrapper, which would be the direction of ##\vec r## that I should consider? From the body to the centre of the Earth, or from the centre of the Earth to the body?

Physics news on Phys.org
You feel acceleration because your velocity (in the inertial frame) is changing. The direction of the acceleration vector in that frame is toward the center of the circle. The acceleration is applied to your feet by the ball, and feels like the normal force on your feet when you stand on the earth. Even if you think of yourself as stationary in the non-inertial frame of the revolving ball, you still feel the force of the ball on your feet. You can't tell the difference between that and the normal force of earth. So it "seems like" there is an equal and opposite gravity-like force that balances the normal force on your feet and holds you stationary. That imaginary centrifugal force is directed away from the center.

Likes Like Tony Stark

1. What is a radius vector?

A radius vector, also known as a position vector, is a mathematical concept used to represent the distance and direction of a point from the origin in a coordinate system.

2. How is a radius vector different from a regular vector?

A radius vector is specific to a particular point and its position relative to the origin, whereas a regular vector can represent any magnitude and direction in space.

3. Can a radius vector be negative?

Yes, a radius vector can have negative components if the point it represents is located in the negative quadrant of a coordinate system.

4. What is the significance of a radius vector in physics?

In physics, a radius vector is often used to describe the position of an object in space and its distance from a reference point, which can be useful in analyzing motion and other physical phenomena.

5. How is a radius vector calculated?

A radius vector is calculated by taking the distance from the origin to the point and multiplying it by a unit vector in the direction of the point. The unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1 and points in the same direction as the radius vector.