Why Does Cylindrical Wave Amplitude Vary Inversely with Radius?

In summary, the amplitude of a cylindrical wave varies inversely with its radius in order to conserve the energy flux of the wave. This is achieved by the inverse proportionality between the amplitude and the square root of the radius, ensuring that the energy flux remains constant as the radius changes.
dibiz116
does anyone know why, in order to conserve flux, the amplitude of a cylindrical wave varies inversely with its radius?

I know the equation for a cylindrical wave is [tex]\frac{A}{\rho^{1/2}}e^{i(k\rho\pm\omega t)}[/tex] , but how does this relate to conserving the flux?

The main reason for my question is that I do not know which flux this is referring to, the question only says "flux" and no type of flux is referred to in the chapter I'm working on.

So .. what type of flux is conserved because of a cylindrical waves' amplitude's inverse proportionality with the square root of the radius?

Thanks so much if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Physics news on Phys.org
The flux referred to in this case is the energy flux of the cylindrical wave. The inverse proportionality between the amplitude and the radius of the wave is needed to ensure that the energy flux remains constant (i.e. conserved). This can be seen by calculating the total energy flux passing through a cylinder of radius r:E_flux = A^2*k*r*2*pi*r Since the amplitude A is inversely proportional to the square root of the radius, r^(1/2), the energy flux will remain constant as the radius changes.

1) Why does the amplitude of a cylindrical wave decrease as the radius increases?

The amplitude of a cylindrical wave decreases as the radius increases because the energy of the wave is spread out over a larger surface area. This means that the same amount of energy is spread out over a larger volume, resulting in a decrease in amplitude at any given point.

2) How does the radius affect the amplitude of a cylindrical wave?

The radius directly affects the amplitude of a cylindrical wave. As the radius increases, the amplitude decreases, and vice versa. This is due to the inverse relationship between the two - as one increases, the other decreases.

3) Can you use mathematical equations to explain the relationship between radius and amplitude in cylindrical waves?

Yes, the relationship between radius and amplitude in cylindrical waves can be explained using mathematical equations. The amplitude of a cylindrical wave is inversely proportional to the square root of the radius. This can be expressed as A ∝ 1/√r, where A is the amplitude and r is the radius.

4) Does the medium through which the wave travels affect the amplitude-radius relationship?

Yes, the medium through which the wave travels can affect the amplitude-radius relationship. The relationship between radius and amplitude in cylindrical waves is dependent on the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity. In denser or more elastic mediums, the amplitude may decrease at a faster rate as the radius increases.

5) What are some real-life examples of cylindrical waves and how is the amplitude affected by radius in these cases?

Some real-life examples of cylindrical waves include sound waves from a loudspeaker, light waves from a laser, and water waves from a cylindrical fountain. In all of these cases, the amplitude of the wave decreases as the radius increases. For example, the sound from a loudspeaker becomes quieter as you move further away, and the light from a laser becomes less intense as it spreads out over a larger area.