Calculating clebsch gordan coefficients

In summary, the homework statement is trying to calculate the probabilities for measuring the z component of the angular momentum of a particle of spin 2.
indecicia

Homework Statement

A particle of spin 1 and a particle of spin 2 are at rest in a configuration such that the total spin is three and its z component = 1. If you measured the z component of the ang mom of the spin 2 particle, what values might you get and what probabilities for each?

Homework Equations

I am trying to calculate the probabilities, not look them up in a table. I *think* the relevant equation is the recursion relation:
sqrt((j+-m)(j+-m+1))<j1j2;m1m2|j1j2;j,m+-1> = (stuff for changing m1, which i think i can disregard) + sqrt((j2-+m2+1)(j2+-m2))<j1j2;m1,m2-+1|j1j2;jm>
+- means plus sign over minus sign

The Attempt at a Solution

ok, so looking at possible cominations, m2 = 0, +1, +2
now, i think the key is plugging the right numbers into the square root, squaring it to get probability, adding up the three probabilities and normalizing them.
For measuring m2 = 0, i plugged in m2 = 1 and used the upper sign because i want m2-+1 to be equal to zero. i got sqrt(6). i think this is right, because i know the answer from looking at a table. but for m2 = 0 i plugged in 1 again but this time took the lower sign and i got sqrt(4) which is not right. so now i wonder about my whole method.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still stuck

do you have to use the recursion method? Can you use ladder operators instead?

Thanks for you reply. I actually figured out the above one of the 2 problems last night by using ladder operators and then normalizing. Hopefully I can figure out how to use ladder operators to do the second one.

indecicia said:
Thanks for you reply. I actually figured out the above one of the 2 problems last night by using ladder operators and then normalizing. Hopefully I can figure out how to use ladder operators to do the second one.

let J = s1 + s2 = 1+2

Then construct all J = 3 states, then you know that the state with J=2, mJ=2 is orthogonal to state J=3, mJ=2, then you have the starting point for making all J=2 states. and so on.

1. How do I calculate Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

The Clebsch-Gordan coefficients can be calculated using the Wigner-Eckart theorem, which relates the matrix elements of the angular momentum operator to the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. Alternatively, they can be found using the Racah formula, which is based on the addition of angular momenta.

2. What are the physical interpretations of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

The Clebsch-Gordan coefficients have a physical interpretation as the probability amplitudes for a system to transition from one state to another under the action of an angular momentum operator. They also describe the coupling of angular momenta in composite systems.

3. How are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients related to quantum numbers?

The Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are related to quantum numbers through the addition of angular momenta. Specifically, they represent the overlap between two states with given quantum numbers.

4. Are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients always unique?

Yes, Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are unique and do not depend on the choice of basis states. They are determined solely by the quantum numbers of the states involved in the coupling.

5. What are the applications of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients have various applications in atomic and molecular physics, nuclear physics, and quantum chemistry. They are used to calculate transition probabilities, understand the coupling of angular momenta in molecules, and describe the formation of nuclear states.