Problem dealing with Equilibrium & Torque

In summary, a 40 kg, 5.0-m-long beam is supported by, but not attached to, the two posts. A 20 kg boy starts walking along the beam. If the beam is just about to tip, about which support is it pivoting? At that point, what's the force at the other support?
joshncsu

Homework Statement

A 40 kg, 5.0-m-long beam is supported by, but not attached to, the two posts. A 20 kg boy starts walking along the beam. How close can he get to the right end of the beam without it tipping?

The left post under the very left end of the beam, and the first post is 3.0 m to the right of it. I've attached an image to assist in visualizing.

Homework Equations

To be in equilibrium:
[tex]\sum \vec{\tau} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\sum \vec{F} = 0[/tex]

Torque:
[tex]\vec{\tau} = r \cdot \vec{F_\perp}[/tex]

Weight:
[tex]\vec{w} = m \cdot \vec{g}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I know the Torque must be 0 to keep the beam from rotating, I get:

[tex]40 \cdot 9.8 + 20 \cdot 9.8 = 3 \cdot \vec{F}_\text{right beam}[/tex]
3 is the distance from the pivot point (the left beam) to the right beam and F2 is force of the right post.

Fnet must also be 0, so I get the following:

[tex]\vec{F}_\text{left beam} + \vec{F}_\text{right beam} = 40 \cdot 9.8 + 20 \cdot 9.8[/tex]

I'm stuck because I've got 2 functions and 3 unknown variables (Fleft beam, Fright beam, x (distance from the pivot point to the boy)).

I assume there is a way to find these but I'm not sure where to go from here or if I've made a mistake.

Attachments

• equilbirum.png
    equilbirum.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,408
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hints:
Where does the weight of the beam act?
When the beam is just about to tip, about which support is it pivoting? At that point, what's the force at the other support?

Thank you for the hints! Your 2nd hint is what led me to figure it out, your first hint made me realize that I messed up showing my work in Latex (sorry if that confused you).

Anyway, I got 4 m when solving for x, which looks right!

Excellent.

alprim said:
How do I figure out what the force on the other support is?
If the board is just about to tip, what must be the force on the other support?

(Realize that you are replying to a thread that is several years old.)

1. What is equilibrium in physics?

Equilibrium in physics refers to a state in which the net force and net torque acting on an object are both zero. This means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

2. How is equilibrium related to torque?

Equilibrium and torque are closely related because in order for an object to be in equilibrium, the net torque acting on the object must be zero. This means that the clockwise and counterclockwise torques must balance each other out.

3. How do you calculate torque?

Torque is calculated as the product of the force applied and the distance from the pivot point to where the force is applied. It is represented by the equation T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

4. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is at rest, while dynamic equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is moving at a constant velocity. In both cases, the net force and net torque acting on the object are zero.

5. How does equilibrium affect stability?

Equilibrium is closely related to stability, as objects in equilibrium are typically stable. This is because any small disturbance will not result in a change in the object's position or motion. However, not all objects in equilibrium are stable, as some may be in an unstable equilibrium state where a small disturbance can cause a change in position or motion.