Can a Wind Turbine Improve Gas Mileage in Electric Cars?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a turbine built into a car to increase gas mileage. However, it is determined that this system would not be efficient as it would only work when the car is braking or coasting, and regenerative braking would be a more effective option. Additionally, the cost and complexity of implementing such a system would outweigh any potential benefits. Instead, using a generator or hybrid system would be a better solution.
lumberer
I know this question was already asked but I wanted to tackle it from a different angle.

I saw allot of posts on how it would take too much gas to create the energy from the turbine but for the example let's say the car is electric.

Now say we have a system where the turbine is in a tube aerodynamically built into the car, and this tube is opened and closed by pulleys or some such simple system connected to the gas pedals. Oh and the tube closes when the gas pedal is being pushed upon

Okay with all of that we have a turbine that only inflicts drag upon the car when the gas is not in use aka when your coasting down hill or braking.

Could you use this system to increase "gas" mileage? For example converting the Potential energy of gravity into electricity?

Sorry if its a stupid question but i started reading about wind turbines two days ago and this is one of a few ideas that popped into my head, and they haunt me until I get them out.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The only way I can see you getting a net gain in energy is from either of the following:
1) the wind turbine runs when the car is sitting parked somewhere.
2) the wind turbine has its cover opened to oncoming wind when you want to slow the car down. This will lessen the torque that the brakes need to provide, and save a bit of wear on the tyres, but regen brakes would probably do a more effective job.

In short, it still won't work.

When you're coasting, your car is "charged up" with kinetic energy, and running a wind turbine will take from that kinetic energy, slowing the car down. You would have to burn more gas to get up to speed again.

For regenerative braking, a turbine large enough to take a significant amount of energy from the car in a reasonable amount of time would be prohibitively large. You're better off using an electric motor as a generator.

lumberer said:
Okay with all of that we have a turbine that only inflicts drag upon the car when the gas is not in use aka when your coasting down hill or braking.

Could you use this system to increase "gas" mileage? For example converting the Potential energy of gravity into electricity?
To reiterate, yes, you could, but it would only be useful when the car is braking or coasting in anticipation of the need to slow down. But in that case, regenerative braking would be more efficient.

Yeah you *could* get some energy out that way, but it would probably take more energy to construct this system in the first place. Not to mention the cost.

As was mentioned, a better way would be for example to use a generator. But even then you would need electric motors to be able to make use of this energy. Plus batteries to store it. A hybrid already has all these, and coincidentally they also have generators that regain energy from the wheels.

1. Can a wind turbine actually power a car?

Yes, a wind turbine can be used to generate electricity which can then be used to power a car. However, the amount of power generated may not be enough to solely power a car. It can be used in conjunction with other power sources such as a battery or a traditional fuel source.

2. How does a wind turbine work on a car?

A wind turbine uses the force of wind to rotate its blades, which in turn rotates a shaft connected to a generator. This generator then converts the kinetic energy of the wind into electricity, which can be stored in a battery or used to power the car's motor.

3. What are the benefits of adding a wind turbine to a car?

Adding a wind turbine to a car can help reduce its carbon footprint and decrease its reliance on traditional fuel sources. It can also provide an alternative source of power, making it more sustainable and environmentally friendly.

4. Are there any drawbacks to adding a wind turbine to a car?

There are a few potential drawbacks to consider when adding a wind turbine to a car. The additional weight and drag from the turbine can decrease the car's fuel efficiency. It may also require specialized installation and maintenance, which can be costly.

5. Can a wind turbine be added to any type of car?

Yes, a wind turbine can be added to most types of cars, but the feasibility and effectiveness may vary depending on the size and shape of the car. It may also be more suitable for electric or hybrid cars, as they have a greater capacity for storing and using the generated electricity.