Solve This Integral with Help from Experts | Forum Discussion

• Thread starter Wort
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about solving a difficult integral and different substitution techniques are suggested to solve it. The participants discuss using u = cos(x) or t = tan(x/2) as possible substitutions, and also mention using partial fractions. They eventually realize that using u = cos(x) and multiplying the numerator and denominator by [sec(x)]^2 will lead to the correct answer.
Wort
Hey. I'm new to the forum and I was hoping you could help me solve this integral. I was searching for a clue on similar integrals posted on internet, but I couldn't find anything helpful.

The integral is in attachment

Attachments

• integral.jpg
    integral.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 363
Physics news on Phys.org
I have not worked this out but the substitution u = cos(x) followed by partial fractions seems like it could do the trick.

does t=tan(x/2) work in this case?

What's wrong with u = cos(x) as suggested above?

Nothing really. I just have difficulties recognizing what I should take as a substitution.

EDIT: If I take u=cosx, du=-sinx dx which makes dx=-du/sinx ... and everywhere else there's "u" instead of "cosx"

Last edited:
You already have sin x dx under the integral. That becomes -du, all your cosines become u, and you get integral of [itex]\frac{4(u-1)}{u^2(2-u)}[/itex]

wow...just WOW... I didnt even notice there's "sinx" in the numerator, how stupid of me. Thank you and I'm really sorry for wasting your time.

If you do integration by substitution than partial fractions you can get the the right answer

You also had sin(x)sin(x) at the bottom
(which is cos^2(x) which will help you greatly)

Try multiplying the numerator and denominator by [sec(x)]^2, then do the substitutions.

You might need to substitute twice, meaning you'll want to back-substitute twice into your final answer.

FAQ: Solve This Integral with Help from Experts | Forum Discussion

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph or the accumulation of a quantity over an interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to solve various problems in calculus and physics.

2. How do I solve an integral?

Solving an integral involves finding the antiderivative of a function and then evaluating it at the lower and upper bounds of the interval. This can be done using various methods such as integration by parts, substitution, or trigonometric identities.

3. What is the purpose of solving integrals?

Integrals are used to calculate various quantities such as area, volume, displacement, and work. They are also used in physics to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object, as well as the total energy of a system.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals?

Yes, there are many online and graphing calculators that can solve integrals. However, it is important to understand the concepts and methods behind solving integrals in order to use these tools effectively.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to add the constant of integration, making algebraic errors, and not considering the limits of integration. It is important to double-check your work and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.