Potential difference in uniformly charged cylinder

In summary, the potential difference between the surface and the axis of the long cylinder is -\frac{Q }{\epsilon _{0}}.
Alexander2357

Homework Statement

Charge is uniformly distributed with charge density ρ inside a very long cylinder of radius R.

Find the potential difference between the surface and the axis of the cylinder.

Express your answer in terms of the variables ρ, R, and appropriate constants.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int \overrightarrow{E}.d\overrightarrow{A}=\frac{Q }{\epsilon _{0}}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta V = -\int_{i}^{f}\overrightarrow{E}.d\overrightarrow{s}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am struggling with determining which Gaussian surface to use. If I use a cylinder, then the cylinder would have an infinite area, right? How can I deal with that? If I use a sphere (since I am trying to find the potential difference between only two points, one on the surface and one on the axis), what will be the charge inside the sphere?

If I use a sphere as my Gaussian surface, I get:

[tex]E = \frac{\rho }{4\pi R^{2}\epsilon _{0}}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta V = \frac{\rho }{4\pi R^{2}\epsilon _{0}} \int_{0}^{R}dR=\frac{\rho }{4\pi R\epsilon _{0}}[/tex]

But this is wrong.

If I use a cylinder as my Gaussian surface instead, I get the following, but it doesn't look right:

[tex] \Delta V = \frac{\rho }{2\pi \epsilon_{0}}\int_{0}^{R}\frac{1}{R} dR [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am struggling with determining which Gaussian surface to use. If I use a cylinder, then the cylinder would have an infinite area, right? How can I deal with that?
It's like when you find the field due to an infinite line of charge. Have you done that one (or had it done for you)?

Simon Bridge said:
It's like when you find the field due to an infinite line of charge. Have you done that one (or had it done for you)?

Yes, I did that a few weeks ago.

The electric field due to an infinite (very long) line of charge is:

[tex]\frac{\rho }{2\pi R \epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

If I substitute this into the equation for potential difference, I get:

[tex]\Delta V = -\frac{\rho }{2\pi \epsilon_{0}}ln(R)[/tex]

Is this correct?

My point is - why not try the same shape gaussian surface as for the long line of charge?

Simon Bridge said:
My point is - why not try the same shape gaussian surface as for the long line of charge?

Thank you for your help Simon. I managed to get the right answer.

Well done.

1. What is potential difference in a uniformly charged cylinder?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is a measure of the difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit. In a uniformly charged cylinder, it refers to the difference in electric potential between the inside and outside of the cylinder.

2. How is potential difference related to electric field in a uniformly charged cylinder?

In a uniformly charged cylinder, the electric field is directly proportional to the potential difference. This means that the greater the potential difference, the stronger the electric field inside the cylinder.

3. How is potential difference calculated in a uniformly charged cylinder?

The potential difference in a uniformly charged cylinder can be calculated using the formula V = k * Q / r, where V is the potential difference, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the cylinder, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

4. How does the potential difference change as the distance from the center of the cylinder increases?

In a uniformly charged cylinder, the potential difference decreases as the distance from the center of the cylinder increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, resulting in a lower potential difference.

5. What factors affect the potential difference in a uniformly charged cylinder?

The potential difference in a uniformly charged cylinder is affected by the charge on the cylinder, the radius of the cylinder, and the distance from the center of the cylinder. Additionally, the material of the cylinder and the surrounding environment can also impact the potential difference.