Question on a Gauss's Law problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Gauss's Law to two problems. For question 007, the individual attempted to solve the problem by ignoring the outer shell and integrating the charge density over the inner cylinder. However, their solution was incorrect. For question 008, they calculated the total enclosed charge per unit height of the inner cylinder and divided it by the surface area of the inner surface, but this approach also led to an incorrect solution. The issue may lie in incorrectly using the expression ##\pi r^2## in the integrand for calculating the charge on the inner cylinder.
dliu1004
Summary:: I understand the basics of Gauss's Law and how to solve some of the simpler problems, but I cannot seem to solve these two questions.

1644710266918.png
1644710275592.png

For question 007, one of my friends told me I had to ignore the outer shell? I did that: I integrated rho dV: (6.02*r*pi*r^2*h) from r=0 to r=.0462 and set that equal to epsilon(naught)*E*2pi*0.188*h (this is: epsilon(naught) * the closed integral of E dA) and solved for E. Yet, this was incorrect.

For question 008, I calculated the total enclosed charge per unit height of the inner cylinder per meter by integrating rho dV from r=0 to r=.0462. I got something like q(enc)=0.00002154*h, so that means the charge of the inner surface of the hollow cylinder must be -0.00002154*h, right? I then divided that by the surface area of the inner surface, which was 2*pi*.117*h to get charge per unit area, yet, this was also incorrect.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
dliu1004 said:
For question 007, one of my friends told me I had to ignore the outer shell? I did that: I integrated rho dV: (6.02*r*pi*r^2*h) from r=0 to r=.0462

So, your integrand for calculating the charge Q on a length ##h## of the inner cylinder is (including the ##dr##) $$(6.02 \frac{C}{m^4}) r \pi r^2 h dr$$

Note that overall, this does not have the units of charge since ##r \pi r^2 h dr## has units of ##m^5##. I think the problem is with the ##\pi r^2## part of your expression.

What is the volume of a thin cylindrical shell of inner radius ##r##, outer radius ##r+dr##, and length ##h##?

Last edited:
Likes berkeman, Orodruin and PhDeezNutz

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in physics that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It is one of the four Maxwell's equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

2. How do I apply Gauss's Law to a problem?

To apply Gauss's Law to a problem, you first need to identify the closed surface and the charge enclosed by it. Then, calculate the electric flux through the surface by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area. Finally, equate the electric flux to the enclosed charge multiplied by a constant, known as the permittivity of free space.

3. Can Gauss's Law be used to calculate the electric field at any point?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be used to calculate the electric field at any point as long as the problem has symmetry. This is because the electric field is a vector quantity and its magnitude and direction can vary at different points. However, if the problem has spherical, cylindrical, or planar symmetry, Gauss's Law can be used to calculate the electric field at any point.

4. What is the significance of Gauss's Law in electromagnetism?

Gauss's Law is significant in electromagnetism because it helps us understand the relationship between electric charges and electric fields. It also allows us to calculate the electric field at any point using only the charge distribution, making it a powerful tool for solving problems in electromagnetism.

5. Can Gauss's Law be applied to problems with non-uniform charge distributions?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be applied to problems with non-uniform charge distributions. However, in such cases, the closed surface must be chosen carefully to ensure that the electric field and surface area vectors are perpendicular at all points. This is necessary for calculating the electric flux accurately.