How can homework threads be marked as solved?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the new "mark as solved" feature is a great way for students and homework helpers to more easily find and focus on threads that still need attention.
[SOLVED] Marking homework threads as [SOLVED]

The option to mark homework threads as solved has arrived. Thread starters, staff and homework helpers have the options under "thread tools". It will prefix the thread with "[SOLVED]" and close the thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is an awesome feature!

Could we use something like that for reported posts in the Mentor's Forum?

Math Is Hard said:
That is an awesome feature!

Could we use something like that for reported posts in the Mentor's Forum?

It works in reported posts forum too :)

This is a cool feature and a great idea!

Excellent!

Is closing the thread a good idea though? What if someone else wants to ask further questions later on?

Edit: I thought I might add that I'm really liking this new "show first post" feature. Nifty! :cool:

Last edited:
morphism said:
Is closing the thread a good idea though? What if someone else wants to ask further questions later on?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... if they had a doubt regarding the same topic... or if they hadn't actually solved the problem as they had first thought.

I'm not seeing this option under Thread Tools.

I see it in Thread Tools in the Prime Skin but not in Nexus.

morphism said:

Well, if that really is someone else, then I think he should open another thread. It would be much much better than to post his/her problem in someone else thread.

Btw, in case the OP returns to find out something's missing, or unclear, it would be nicer if there's an option to remove [SOLVE] tag. ^.^

And I'd love it to be embedded into Nexus skin, also. :!) :!) :!) :!)

Thanks for the improvement, Greg. :)

Greg, this is exciting...but so far, at least 3 homework helpers do not see this option under thread tools, and I don't know anyone that does. I tried Prime and Nexus.

And I too am liking the OP previewer option.

I don't see it under thread tools either. I see three options under thread tools, just like the other forums.

Show Printable Version
Email this Page
Subscribe to this Thread

I tried logging out and in again, and that didn't change it.

Can Moderators see the [Solved] option? If so, then it's a permissions issue.

Last edited:
While Greg looks into that issue, I can answer that yes, if someone changes their mind later, in a thread labeled as solved, the menu option changes to "mark thread as unsolved." So, for example, if a HW helper thinks a problem is fully solved and done, and the student asking the question still isn't quite satisfied, they can reopen it.

Since the author of the thread has access to this option I imagine a sticky in the homework help forums explaining this might ease the amount of question about 'why's my thread been locked?', to those who don't use other areas of the site.

Since the action then locks the thread, I suspect it is a user/usergroup permissions matter, since Admin and Mods can lock threads, but other users cannot.

Moonbear said:
While Greg looks into that issue, I can answer that yes, if someone changes their mind later, in a thread labeled as solved, the menu option changes to "mark thread as unsolved." So, for example, if a HW helper thinks a problem is fully solved and done, and the student asking the question still isn't quite satisfied, they can reopen it.
To me it seems not quite in sync with the site's spirit. Sometimes someone can give a hint towards another solution method, or provide a comment or insight no one else posted. IMHO, it's an unnecessary obstacle to have threads locked.

Why lock?

I may get used to it, but at the moment I don't see the point of locking the thread. Sometimes someone thinks they have the answer, but it turns out that they were wrong. Or as morphism suggests, an additional insight, comment, or approach might prove quite helpful.

The main purpose of the "mark as solved" feature is just to make it easier for homework helpers to direct their efforts to questions that still need attention, not to close off further discussion.

Of course, once the OP marks the question as "Solved", they might never think to look at those additional comments. But the OP is not the only one reading the thread.

I like the [Solved] indicator, but I would agree that it is not necessary to lock it because there might be some further commentary, some related question to be answered.

Well, locking is not very necessary. I would recommend a color change. I.e, if the thread is still open for answer, it'll be displayed in some color (e.g, green), and when the problem is solved, it'll change color (like, gray, or something like that).

This can be pretty convenient for HW Helpers to search for unanswered posts by just looking it its color, or for others to search for some answered problems.

It would be nice if HW Helpers can also flag which thread should receive more attentions from other HW helpers, or mods.

And, also, if possible, there should be a minimum-post-restriction for a specific user to post in a [SOLVED] thread, since some new users may awake a 1 year old thread, which has already been solved. I've seen it once, or twice.

Last edited:
I can't see this new feature in the Thread Tools menu. I use Prime.

The following may require more work... but... it might be nice if the post(s) which "solved" it [according to the OP or staff] were somehow flagged as such... maybe with a background color change for those posts. It could be like a feedback system... which could be useful to identify future Homework Helpers.I don't think locking is necessary.

There are some tricky things going on with the usergroups, looking into a work around.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Solved threads are not longer locked
Thank you, sir!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Solved threads are not longer locked
I'm still not seeing the "mark as solved" option. Just letting you know.

I'm seeing it, I marked the last 2 questions I posted as solved.

So it's only the homework helpers that can not access this feature yet! :(

Gokul43201 said:
D'oh!

Gokul43201 said:

:rofl: Oh, the irony! :biggrin:

This seems like it'll be a great feature once the kinks are straightened out. Incidentally, has anyone noticed that a few of the posts in the the sci.physics.research forum have suddenly appeared with the [solved] tag in the title, and the thread has been locked? I guess this is a slight problem with the feature!

cristo said:
Incidentally, has anyone noticed that a few of the posts in the the sci.physics.research forum have suddenly appeared with the [solved] tag in the title, and the thread has been locked? I guess this is a slight problem with the feature!
This is wierd. I've fixed a few of them, but clearly there's a bug somewhere.

Perhaps there's a way to restrict the use of this feature to the homework help forums (and Reported Posts, for us mentors).

Doc Al said:
This is wierd. I've fixed a few of them, but clearly there's a bug somewhere.

Perhaps there's a way to restrict the use of this feature to the homework help forums (and Reported Posts, for us mentors).

And Greg seemed so pleased when he announced it. Its turning into a bit of a long job.

ok HH should be able to mark threads as solved now. Please test and let me know.