How do you solve the double integral

In summary, to solve the double integral of cos(u/v) dudv with limits of u from v to -v and limits of v from 1 to 2, treat v as constant and integrate cos. This will result in 2v sin(1). It may appear messy, but it is the correct solution. It is important to pay attention to the limits and treat them correctly in the integration process. This method can be used for similar problems in calculus.
fk378

Homework Statement

How do you solve the double integral of cos(u/v) dudv, if the limits of u are v and -v, and the limits of v are 1 and 2?

I tried doing it by parts but I didn't get it...

Physics news on Phys.org

fk378 said:

Homework Statement

How do you solve the double integral of cos(u/v) dudv, if the limits of u are v and -v, and the limits of v are 1 and 2?

I tried doing it by parts but I didn't get it...

what so tough about it?

int {v = 1 to 2}{u=-v to v} cos(u/v) du.dv

treat v as constant and integrate cos, put the limits in (get something like sin(1) ) ..

I did really quickly and had something like 3 sin(1)

P.S. are you using glyn james .. ?

If I integrate cos first and treat v as a constant, then I get v(sin(u/v))...isn't that messy? Can you show me what you did or explain it further please?

And I am using Stewart's calc, not glyn

fk378 said:
If I integrate cos first and treat v as a constant, then I get v(sin(u/v))...isn't that messy? Can you show me what you did or explain it further please?

And I am using Stewart's calc, not glyn

it goes from -v to v

so

v (sin(v/v)-sin(-v/v))

1. How do you set up a double integral?

To set up a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both variables, usually denoted as x and y. These limits are typically the boundaries of the region of integration. Then, you need to determine the integrand, which is the function that you are integrating over the region. Finally, you need to choose the order of integration, which determines which variable you integrate first.

2. What is the difference between a single integral and a double integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in a one-dimensional space. A double integral, on the other hand, is used to find the volume under a surface in a two-dimensional space. Essentially, a single integral integrates over a line, while a double integral integrates over a region.

3. How do you evaluate a double integral?

Evaluating a double integral involves using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that integration is the inverse of differentiation. This means that you can evaluate a double integral by first finding the antiderivative of the integrand, and then plugging in the limits of integration and subtracting the resulting values.

4. What is the importance of double integrals in mathematics?

Double integrals are important in mathematics because they allow us to calculate the volume of three-dimensional objects, which is crucial in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They also have applications in probability and statistics, where they are used to find the probability of events in a two-dimensional space.

5. What are some common techniques for solving double integrals?

Some common techniques for solving double integrals include using iterated integrals, where you integrate one variable at a time, and using change of variables, where you substitute new variables to simplify the integrand. Other techniques include using symmetry and using polar coordinates for circular or symmetric regions of integration.