Engineers view of the world - Free Body Diagram

In summary, this free body diagram of the front of my college's view from a nearby park, which I have special feelings too, is the place that introduced me to the beauty and majesty of physics and first place that showed me that I am able to be an excelling student. This place is my first love... :) so I give my love back... still in draft form mind you! I still have one more page to add and more things to draw overall.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Okay, I'm still working on it... but this is a free body diagram of the front of my college's view from a nearby park, which I have special feelings too. It's the place that introduced me to the beauty and majesty of physics, and first place that showed me that I am able to be an excelling student. This place is my first love... :) so I give my love back... still in draft form mind you! I still have one more page to add and more things to draw overall.

(I also drew myself somewhere ;) )

I call it "engineer's view of the world"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ePxNtPqiN...xWE1wkU/s1600/engineers-view-of-the-world.JPG

I hope you like it!((

PS. I would like to add that what first ignited the idea was a comment by ILS! So thanks ILS ;)

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3251076&postcount=15 ))

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i had a professor once that said "sometimes you need to see the palm trees without force vectors". ultimately, he turned out to be someone i had plenty of reason to dislike, but he had a point there.

it reminds me of statics and dynamics classes, but there i had no artistic ability and would be drawing everything with a straightedge instead of freehand. so it makes me want to place you in an architect category.

I like it! :smile:

Can't wait to see more upcoming drafts.
Will you keep updating this thread?

Btw, I found this picture lying around that kind of reminds me of what you've drawn:
http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/9017/ortsingalovskitheshot.jpg

I like the beauty of it, although I have to admit I usually only see vectors and formulas myself, whenever I look at something.
But I've been given to understand other people see real beauty in the world! :smile:Edit: Found you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Serena said:
Btw, I found this picture lying around that kind of reminds me of what you've drawn:
http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/9017/ortsingalovskitheshot.jpg

I suppose it might be kind of a little bit similar...

Chi Meson said:
I suppose it might be kind of a little bit similar...
For a minute, I thought we were in the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=270543" , thread.

I agree with Proton, I see an architectural flair in your drawings. It did look like אורט סינגאלובסקי on your sketch (with a little artistic license on the first word). :smile:

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on a body or object. It is commonly used in engineering to show the different forces acting on an object, such as tension, gravity, and normal force.

2. Why is a free body diagram important in engineering?

A free body diagram is important in engineering because it allows engineers to analyze and understand the forces acting on an object in order to make accurate predictions and design decisions. It also helps to identify any potential areas of weakness or stress in a structure or system.

3. How is a free body diagram created?

A free body diagram is created by first identifying the object or body of interest and drawing it as a simple, isolated shape. Next, all the forces acting on the object are represented by arrows pointing in the direction of the force, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude of the force. Finally, the diagram is labeled with all the forces and their corresponding values.

4. Can a free body diagram be used in any situation?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used in any situation where there are forces acting on an object. It is a universal tool that can be used in various fields of engineering, such as mechanical, structural, and electrical engineering.

5. What are the benefits of using a free body diagram?

Using a free body diagram allows engineers to have a clear understanding of the forces acting on an object, which can aid in problem-solving and decision-making. It also helps to identify any potential issues or areas of improvement in a design or system. Additionally, free body diagrams can be used to communicate ideas and concepts to others in a visual and concise manner.