I want to design electric cars.

In summary, Tom is a 28-year-old who dropped out of school in 7th grade due to family issues. He recently got his GED and lives in Las Vegas. He plans on staying in Vegas for the next 5 years and is considering attending either UNLV or a local community college. Tom's passion is working with cars and he would love to design systems for electric cars if he had the opportunity. He has two questions for the experts: 1) What type of engineering should he pursue to achieve his goals? 2) Where should he start with his math education, knowing he will need a foundation in calculus, physics, and algebra? He believes he can grasp complicated concepts but lacks the knowledge to apply them in
dbu8554
Hey guys, this is my second time writing this first time browser crashed and lost it all I hate it when that happens.

Anyways I will make this one shorter.

My name is Tom, dropped out of formal school in 7th grade due to family troubles, got my GED recently I am 28. I live in Las Vegas and don't plan on leaving in the next 5 years or so, so my options for school are UNLV or the local community college.

I usually work with cars in some type repairing or restoring I have loved them from a young age, but if I had all the money in the world I would design systems to make electric cars a reality. Batteries/Charging systems and the like.

So here are my questions.

1. What type of engineering should I take to further my goals it seems like electrical engineering but I figure I should ask first.
2. Either way it seems like I would need a good foundation of calculus and physics and before I learn that I know I need algebra, so since everyone here most likely did that already where should I start in that regard?

Sorry this post was not as exciting as you may have hoped also, I grasp complicated things well and I do not believe that this is beyond me I just lack the knowledge to apply it in the field I wish to work in.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about part 1 but for part 2, khanacademy.org for the basics then pick up a copy of mary boas' mathematical methods book for the intermediates.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate you taking the time to read my post.

1. How do electric cars work?

Electric cars use an electric motor powered by a battery to propel the vehicle. The battery is charged by plugging it into an external power source, such as a charging station or a home outlet. When the car is in motion, the battery powers the electric motor which turns the wheels.

2. What makes electric cars better for the environment?

Electric cars do not emit any pollutants or greenhouse gases from their tailpipes, unlike traditional gasoline or diesel cars. This reduces air pollution and helps to combat climate change. Additionally, the electricity used to charge the cars can come from renewable sources, making them even more eco-friendly.

3. How far can electric cars travel on a single charge?

The range of electric cars varies depending on the model and battery size, but most modern electric cars can travel between 200-300 miles on a single charge. This range is constantly improving as battery technology advances.

4. Are there enough charging stations for electric cars?

There are currently over 26,000 charging stations in the United States, and this number is rapidly growing. In addition to public charging stations, many electric car owners also have the option to install a charging station in their own homes. As the demand for electric cars increases, so will the availability of charging stations.

5. How much does it cost to design an electric car?

The cost of designing an electric car varies greatly depending on the complexity and features of the car. However, it is generally more expensive than designing a traditional gasoline car due to the advanced technology and components required. Companies also incur additional costs for research and development to improve the efficiency and performance of electric cars.