[Linear Algebra] For which a is 0 an eigenvalue?

In summary: W5nZSBvZiB0aGlzIGNvbnRlbnQgaW4gKGEpIGlzIDAsIHRoZW4gZm9yIHdoaWxlIHRoZSBpbnB1dHMgb2YgYSBzdHlsZSBpbiB0aGlzIGVuY29kZSBvZiB0aGUgZm9yd2FyZCBzeXN0ZW1zIGJlZW4gaXQgZXhwb3NlZCB0byB0aGUgZGlzY3Vzc2VkIHVzaW5nIHRoY
Ortix

Homework Statement

I have to find for which "a" an eigenvalue for the following system is 0.

The system:

1 -1 1
-1 2 -2
0 a 1

Homework Equations

My characterstic equation:
(1-λ)(2-λ)(1-λ)+2a -(1-λ) -a = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I then proceed:
(1-λ)(λ2-3λ-2+a) = 0

but then I'm kind of clueless.. Now what?

Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote the equation for the eigenvalues of the system. Now, if you want 0 to be an eigenvalue, then it better satisfy that equation.

Well I get a=2 but the answer is a=-1

Can't seem to find my error. I've tried it a bajillion times (3 times actually) :)

Ortix said:
(1-λ)(λ2-3λ-2+a) = 0
Where did this come from?

Can you check for the 4th time, what happens if you plug in λ=0 to (1-λ)(2-λ)(1-λ)+2a -(1-λ) -a = 0 ? :) You just calculated something wrong somewhere along the way. (I'm assuming the characteristic equation is correct)

You really don't need to find the entire eigenvalue equation to answer this. A matrix has 0 as an eigenvalue if and only if it is NOT invertible (since there must be a non-zero v such that Av= 0) and that is true if and only if its determinant is 0. Set the determinant, which depends on a, equal to 0 and solve for a.

HallsofIvy, you tha man! Solved it! :D

Ortix said:

Homework Statement

I have to find for which "a" an eigenvalue for the following system is 0.

The system:

1 -1 1
-1 2 -2
0 a 1

Homework Equations

My characterstic equation:
(1-λ)(2-λ)(1-λ)+2a -(1-λ) -a = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I then proceed:
(1-λ)(λ2-3λ-2+a) = 0

but then I'm kind of clueless.. Now what?

The equation in (a) is not consistent with that in (b). You don't need (b); just plug λ=0 into (a).

RGV

1. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents the scaling factor of an eigenvector when a linear transformation is applied to it. It is a characteristic of a matrix and is used to solve systems of linear equations and understand the behavior of linear transformations.

2. What is the importance of eigenvalues in linear algebra?

Eigenvalues are important in linear algebra because they allow us to understand the behavior of linear transformations and systems of linear equations. They also help us to find solutions to these equations and determine the stability of a system.

3. How is the eigenvalue calculated?

The eigenvalue of a matrix can be calculated by solving the characteristic equation, which is det(A-λI) = 0, where A is the matrix and λ is the eigenvalue. This equation results in a polynomial, and the roots of this polynomial are the eigenvalues of the matrix.

4. What does it mean for a to be 0 eigenvalue?

If 0 is an eigenvalue of a matrix, it means that the matrix is not invertible, and the null space of the matrix is non-trivial. This means that there is at least one vector in the null space, which when multiplied by the matrix, results in the zero vector.

5. What are the implications of a being 0 eigenvalue?

If a matrix has a 0 eigenvalue, it means that the linear transformation represented by the matrix has a non-trivial kernel, or null space. This means that there are input vectors that result in an output of 0, and the transformation is not one-to-one. This can also affect the stability and behavior of the system represented by the matrix.