If n is an integer, and 3n+2 is even, prove that n is also even

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof problem where it is given to prove that if n is an odd integer, 3n+2 is also an even integer. The proposed proof method is a contrapositive proof, but there is confusion on how to go about proving that 6k+5 is odd for any integer k. The conversation ends with a proposed solution using congruence and a final summary of the basic idea of the proof.
velouria131
I am coming across hiccups in my proof process. I am given this problem - Prove: if n is an integer and 3n + 2 is even that n is also even. I have to apply a contrapositive proof to this problem. The form is then [itex]\neg[/itex]q therefore [itex]\neg[/itex]p .The problem becomes - if n is odd, prove that 3n+2 is even.

Work:

Prove - if n is odd, prove that 3n+2 is even.

step 1 - if n is odd, n = 2k+1 for some integer k

step 2 - 3n + 2 = 3(2k+1) + 2 = 6k + 5

step 3 - This is my issue. A contrapositive proof for this problem would give not 'p', or, that 3n+2 is odd when n is odd. Do I now have to show that 6k + 5 is an odd number for any positive integer k? Or, should I just prove that 3n + 2 is odd when n is odd? If I take this route, could I choose another proof method, essentially having a 'proof within a proof'?

Physics news on Phys.org
velouria131 said:
Prove: if n is an integer and 3n + 2 is even that n is also even. I have to apply a contrapositive proof to this problem. The form is then [itex]\neg[/itex]q therefore [itex]\neg[/itex]p .The problem becomes - if n is odd, prove that 3n+2 is even.

I'm assuming that's a typo.

Do I now have to show that 6k + 5 is an odd number for any positive integer k?

Probably not, but it's better to be safe. An odd number is an integer of form 2m+1. Find m and you are done.

pwsnafu said:
Probably not, but it's better to be safe. An odd number is an integer of form 2m+1. Find m and you are done.

I am still not sure where I would take this proof. I apologize in advance as this is maybe the third proof I have done, and lack serious intution. How would I go about asserting that 6k + 5 is odd for any integer k? Would I do this:

6k + 2 = 2m + 1

m = 3k + 2

...however, this feels like circular logic. Does this mean that 6k+2 takes the form of an odd integer, and is therefore odd?

What about this?

3n+2=2k where k is some integer

n=2(k-1)/3

If n is an integer (given) it has to be even with 2 as a factor.

velouria131 said:
I am still not sure where I would take this proof. I apologize in advance as this is maybe the third proof I have done, and lack serious intution. How would I go about asserting that 6k + 5 is odd for any integer k? Would I do this:

6k + 2 = 2m + 1

m = 3k + 2

...however, this feels like circular logic. Does this mean that 6k+2 takes the form of an odd integer, and is therefore odd?

You need to stop being careless with your posting. It's "+5" not "+2".
And yes. We prove something is odd by either
  1. Showing that it is equal to 2m+1 for some integer m, or
  2. Show the number is congruent to 1 (mod 2).
And it's easy enough to show that those two statements amount to the same thing.

rollingstein said:
What about this?

3n+2=2k where k is some integer

n=2(k-1)/3

If n is an integer (given) it has to be even with 2 as a factor.

That's not a contrapositive proof.

pwsnafu said:
That's not a contrapositive proof.

Sorry. Didn't read that requirement. My bad.

P1:If 3n+2 is even then n is also even

P2:Contrapositive of P1: If n is odd then 3n + 2 is odd

n=2k+1 where k=0,1,2,...

3n+2=6k+3+2
= 6k+5
=6k+6-1
=2(3k+3) - 1
= even - 1
= odd

QED?

3n+2 even
=>3n even
=>n even. This is the basic idea.

1. What does it mean for a number to be even?

For a number to be even means that it is divisible by 2 without any remainder. In other words, an even number can be written in the form of 2n, where n is any integer.

2. How do you prove that a number is even?

To prove that a number is even, you need to show that it can be divided by 2 without any remainder. This can be done through various methods such as using the division algorithm or showing that the number can be written in the form of 2n.

3. How does the given statement relate to divisibility?

The given statement, "if n is an integer, and 3n+2 is even, prove that n is also even", relates to divisibility because it is stating that if a number (3n+2) is divisible by 2, then the other number (n) must also be divisible by 2 in order for the statement to be true.

4. Can you provide an example to illustrate this statement?

Yes, for example, let n = 4. Then 3n+2 = 3(4)+2 = 14, which is an even number. This shows that if n is even, then 3n+2 is also even. However, if n = 3, then 3n+2 = 3(3)+2 = 11, which is an odd number. This contradicts the given statement, proving that n must also be even for 3n+2 to be even.

5. How can this statement be applied in mathematical proofs?

This statement can be used to prove various mathematical theorems and propositions that involve even numbers. By showing that if a number, in this case n, follows a certain condition (3n+2 is even), then it must also follow another condition (n is even), we can prove the validity of the theorem or proposition.