Is a .1M HCl solution more acidic than a .2M HCL solution ?

• Thread starter morrobay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hcl
In summary, with .1M HCl the pH = -Lg 10-1 = 1 and with .2M HCl the pH = 2. Both solutions are fully ionized and the Ka HCl = [H+] [A-]/[HA] is not relevant. But the .2M HCl solution has higher concentration of H3O+
morrobay
Gold Member
With .1M HCl the pH = -Lg 10-1 = 1
With .2M HCL the pH = 2 Since both solutions are low concentrations of a strong acid
they are fully ionized and the Ka HCL = [H+] [A-]/[HA]
is not relevant.
But the .2M HCl solution has higher concentration of H3O+
But by definition the .1 M HCL solution is more acidic ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Your pH calculation for 0.2M is wrong. -log(0.2) is 0.70, not 2.

aroc91 said:
Your pH calculation for 0.2M is wrong. -log(0.2) is 0.70, not 2.

Right - You got here first, should be -lg 2 -lg 10-1 = -.3+1=.7 pH
Stupid mistake at my expense

Follow up question : The Ka for HCl = 1 x 103
At what concentration , with increasing concentration , would disassociation of HCl stop.
And the pH no longer decreasing.
Note this is why it is advisable to take Chem 1A and 1B inorganic at the same school.
Otherwise there can be overlap and missing material

morrobay said:
At what concentration , with increasing concentration , would disassociation of HCl stop.

Disassociation or dissociation?

Unless I am missing something, this is crazy difficult. First, we don't have a good theory for calculations at high ionic strengths. Second, in high concentrations ions tend to create pairs (associate). This can change the apparent dissociation constant.

Borek said:
Disassociation or dissociation?

Unless I am missing something, this is crazy difficult. First, we don't have a good theory for calculations at high ionic strengths. Second, in high concentrations ions tend to create pairs (associate). This can change the apparent dissociation constant.

I disagree with the comment "we don't have a good theory for calculations at high ionic strengths" unless you qualify it as your personal opinion. The theoretical equation and numerical models based thereon (which are non-linear and require interative solutions) to predict the ionic strength of mixed saturated salt solutions is a mini-industry, obviously producing satisfactory results.

I do agree with the statement "This can change the apparent dissociation constant".

Now, to those who know some of this theory, I would ask the question can one add a sufficient quantity of MgCl2 to the .1 M HCl to make it many times stronger than the .2 M HCl, which is absence any other salts?

Last edited:
ajkoer said:
I disagree with the comment "we don't have a good theory for calculations at high ionic strengths" unless you qualify it as your personal opinion. The theoretical equation and numerical models based thereon (which are non-linear and require interative solutions) to predict the ionic strength of mixed saturated salt solutions is a mini-industry, obviously producing satisfactory results.

As far as I know the best approach to the activity calculations in high ionic strengths at the moment are the Pitzer equation and Specific Interaction Theory. They are expected to be good for ionic strengths up to 5 molal. Problem is, they require experimentally determined interaction coefficients - and these are known only for a limited number of ions pairs, which makes calculations impossible in most cases. So even if these results are satisfactory, they are severely limited.

Thus, while we have a theory that is capable of yielding correct results, we don't have enough data to use it. For most practical purposes it means we can't calculate what we need, and that's what I meant by "we don't have a good theory for calculations".

Borek said:
As far as I know the best approach to the activity calculations in high ionic strengths at the moment are the Pitzer equation and Specific Interaction Theory. They are expected to be good for ionic strengths up to 5 molal. Problem is, they require experimentally determined interaction coefficients - and these are known only for a limited number of ions pairs, which makes calculations impossible in most cases. So even if these results are satisfactory, they are severely limited.

Thus, while we have a theory that is capable of yielding correct results, we don't have enough data to use it. For most practical purposes it means we can't calculate what we need, and that's what I meant by "we don't have a good theory for calculations".

Yes, I agree with most of your comments.

For those interested in more details on this topic, please see the following reference (full paper) at http://www.jim.or.jp/journal/e/pdf3/45/04/1317.pdf . To quote from the abstract:

"We developed a chemical model to analyze ionic equilibria in a cobalt chloride solution at 298K. The chemical model consisted of chemical equilibria, mass and charge balance equations. The activity coefficients of solutes and water activity were calculated with Bromley equation. Values of the equilibrium constants for the formation of cobalt chloride complexes at zero ionic strength and of the interaction parameters were estimated by applying Bromley equation to the reported equilibrium constants at different ionic strength".

1. Is a .1M HCl solution more acidic than a .2M HCl solution?

Yes, a .1M HCl solution is more acidic than a .2M HCl solution. This is because the higher the concentration of HCl, the more hydrogen ions are present, making the solution more acidic.

2. How does the concentration of HCl affect the acidity of a solution?

The concentration of HCl directly affects the acidity of a solution. As the concentration increases, so does the number of hydrogen ions present, making the solution more acidic.

3. Are there any other factors that can affect the acidity of a solution?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the acidity of a solution, such as the presence of other acids or bases, temperature, and the nature of the solvent.

4. Can a .1M HCl solution be more acidic than a .2M solution of a different acid?

Yes, it is possible for a .1M HCl solution to be more acidic than a .2M solution of a different acid. This is because the strength of an acid also plays a role in determining its acidity, not just its concentration.

5. How can I determine the acidity of a solution if I know its concentration?

The pH scale is commonly used to measure the acidity of a solution. The lower the pH, the more acidic the solution. You can also use a pH meter or pH paper to directly measure the pH of the solution.