I need to neutralize bleach in my heating system

In summary, I used a propane gas tank to add thermal storage to my out door wood burner. The ethyl mercaptan residue mixed in the water and the smell about drove us out of the house. I added bleach to the tank which did a fair job of killing the smell, now I need to know how to neutralize the bleach so I can add rust inhibitor to the water. Sodium nitrite comes to mind. How much would it take? Depends on the amount of bleach present. I added 6 gallons of bleach to 600 gallons of water, I can drain all but about 75 gallons. Nitrite will probably reduce bleach as well, but something tells me that sulfite is better. Can't remember why. Now that I
Igloozz
I used a propane gas tank to add thermal storage to my out door wood burner.

The ethyl mercaptan residue mixed in the water and the smell about drove us out of the house.

I added bleach to the tank which did a fair job of killing the smell, now I need to know how to neutralize the bleach so I can add rust inhibitor to the water.

We use sodium nitrite as a rust inhibitor and I don't know if it will react with the bleach residue.

I got in over my head when I starded mixing chemicals and I don't want to create a situation where I produce something dangerous.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sodium sulfite comes to mind.

How much would it take?

Depends on the amount of bleach present.

I added 6 gallons of bleach to 600 gallons of water, I can drain all but about 75 gallons.

I can refill with fresh water.

My question is will the bleach be diluted enough after I drain and refill that it won't cause
any reaction with the Sodium nitrite? Or do I still need to neutralize after I drain and refill?

So what was left is equivalent to about 6*75/600 gallons of bleach.

Nitrite will probably reduce bleach as well, but something tells me that sulfite is better. Can't remember why.

Now that I think about it - probably the best thing to do is to dilute it draining water several times as far down as possible and refilling back. While it is not a problem to reduce the chlorine from the bleach, you will be left with a solution containing many ions, such solutions speed up corrosion. That's not different from corrosion being faster in sea water than is fresh water.

That makes sense to me, I began to drain tonight, I will do some serious fill and flush tomorrow. Thank you for your input.

1. How does bleach end up in a heating system?

Bleach can enter a heating system if it is accidentally poured into the system, or if it is used to clean the system's pipes or components.

2. What are the dangers of having bleach in a heating system?

Bleach can corrode the metal components of a heating system, leading to leaks and potential system failure. It can also release harmful gases into the air when heated, which can be dangerous to breathe.

3. What are the signs that bleach is in my heating system?

If you notice a strong bleach odor coming from your heating system, or if you see discoloration or corrosion on the pipes or components, it is likely that bleach has entered the system.

4. How can I neutralize bleach in my heating system?

The most effective way to neutralize bleach in a heating system is to flush the system with large amounts of water. You can also use a chemical neutralizer specifically designed for bleach, but be sure to follow the instructions carefully.

5. What can I do to prevent bleach from entering my heating system in the future?

To prevent accidental spills, always handle bleach carefully and use appropriate protective gear. If you are using bleach to clean your heating system, be sure to thoroughly rinse and flush the system before turning it back on.