Relative velocity equation help

In summary, the book is definitely wrong … it has cosθ > 1, which is impossible! :smile:Thanks again.
mccoy1
Hi folks, can someone please point out how Atkin got the following relative velocity A-B equation: see attached file. It's in atkin pchem 9e page 834.
Thank you all.

Attachments

• Atkin (1).jpg
    Atkin (1).jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 309
Chemistry news on Phys.org
mccoy1 said:
Hi folks, can someone please point out how Atkin got the following relative velocity A-B equation: see attached file. It's in atkin pchem 9e page 834.
Thank you all.

hi mccoy1! :smile:

vrel A-B is the component of vrel in the AB direction, ie vrelcosθ

by Pythagoras, cosθ = adj/hyp = √(d2 - a2)/d :wink:

tiny-tim said:

vrel A-B is the component of vrel in the AB direction, ie vrelcosθ

by Pythagoras, cosθ = adj/hyp = √(d2 - a2)/d :wink:

Thank you very much Tiny-Tim. Yes that's what I got before. And if substitute the value of cos(theta) into vrel,A-B = vrel/cos(theta) equation, then you get
Vrel,A-B =vrel/cos(theta) = vrel[d2/(d2-a2)]1/2 , which is not the equation in the attached file or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks again.

(have a square-root: √ and a theta: θ :wink:)
mccoy1 said:
… then you get
Vrel,A-B =vrel/cos(theta) = vrel[d2/(d2-a2)]1/2 , which is not the equation in the attached file or am I doing something wrong?

oh yes, i didn't notice the book got it wrong! :redface:

the book is definitely wrong … it has cosθ > 1, which is impossible! :smile:

Thanks again.
As an aside, in 8e of the same book, the authors have multiplication instead of a division between cos(θ) and vrel (which I think is impossible!), what do you think of that as well? I can't believe that the authors got it wrong in both editions! However, what surprised me is that they end up getting correct collision cross-section using that equation.

Cheers for the symbol tips.

mccoy1 said:
As an aside, in 8e of the same book …
sorry, i don't have the book (i was going on your picture) :wink:

tiny-tim said:
mccoy1 said:
As an aside, in 8e of the same book …
sorry, i don't have the book (i was going on your picture) :wink:

Yes I know. I copied that image from Atkin 9e. I've also attached an image and a text copied from 8e.
Cheers.

Last edited:
no, i can't see what I'm supposed to be looking at :confused:

btw, it should be multiplication …
mccoy1 said:
… the authors have multiplication instead of a division between cos(θ) and vrel (which I think is impossible!) …

vrel is the whole vector, and vrelcosθ is the component :wink:

tiny-tim said:
no, i can't see what I'm supposed to be looking at :confused:

btw, it should be multiplication …vrel is the whole vector, and vrelcosθ is the component :wink:

Ok there's a section (almost 1/2 way down the page) where it says "Justification 22: The collision cross-section"

Anyway don't worry, I think the fact that you have figured out that it should be a multiplication is enough. You get correct equation if it's multiplication. The only trouble I've with that is vrel,A-Bcos(θ) is supposed to be scalar component of vrel,A-B along vrel. To me , it seems like vrelcos (θ ) is a scalar component of vrel along 'a' in the diagram.
I'm lost!

Edit: okay i think I'm wrong on the last bit. vrelcos (θ) is a scalar component of vrel on vrel,A-B, but the equation vrel,A-B=vrel*cos (θ) suggests that it's a vector .

Last edited:
mccoy1 said:
Ok there's a section (almost 1/2 way down the page) where it says "Justification 22: The collision cross-section"

ah, i see it now!

yes, that section is virtually word-for-word the same as the other one, except for the misprint of dividing instead of multiplying :wink:
The only trouble I've with that is vrel,A-Bcos(θ) is supposed to be scalar component of vrel,A-B along vrel. To me , it seems like vrelcos (θ ) is a scalar component of vrel along 'a' in the diagram.
I'm lost!

Edit: okay i think I'm wrong on the last bit. vrelcos (θ) is a scalar component of vrel on vrel,A-B, but the equation vrel,A-B suggests that it's a vector .

i think you're over-thinking this

the "real" vector is the actual relative velocity, vrel,

multiply by cosθ and you get a component (btw, no need to add "scalar") …

usually you would write v and vx, but instead of "x" the direction is called "AB", so it's written vAB

and in this case it's confused by the fact that there are two different suffices, vrel,AB, with entirely different significances! :smile:

Thank you very much for your help. Yes you are right, that's a reckless claim actually because i need to say abs(vrel)cos(θ) for it to make sense as a scalar. I think i got it now though.
As for the suffices, vrel, A-B (with minus between A and B) is supposed to be velocity along the internuclear axis/line 'd') while vrelAB (no minus is a velocity at an angle θ to the internuclear axis)...as on the second diagram.
Cheers buddy...it seems there's no kudos button here...but still > kudos for you.

Last edited:

Question 1: What is the relative velocity equation?

The relative velocity equation is a formula used to calculate the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account both the velocities and directions of the two objects.

Question 2: How is the relative velocity equation derived?

The relative velocity equation is derived from the concept of vector addition. It takes the individual velocities of the two objects and combines them to find the resulting relative velocity.

Question 3: What are the variables in the relative velocity equation?

The variables in the relative velocity equation are the velocities of the two objects and the angle between their directions of motion. The equation is typically written as Vrel = V1 + V2 - 2V1V2cosθ.

Question 4: How is the relative velocity equation used in real-life situations?

The relative velocity equation is commonly used in physics and engineering, particularly in scenarios where two objects are moving in different directions or at different speeds. It can also be applied in navigation and transportation, such as calculating the speed and direction of a boat relative to the current of a river.

Question 5: Are there any limitations to the relative velocity equation?

One limitation of the relative velocity equation is that it assumes the two objects are moving in a straight line and do not accelerate or decelerate. Additionally, it does not take into account external forces such as friction or air resistance. It is best used in idealized situations and may not accurately represent real-world scenarios.