Killing Horizons: Computing Metric Components in Kerr Coordinates

• Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
In summary, to go from equation (4.28) to (4.29), you need to use Kerr coordinates and evaluate the metric components at r=r+. There is no need to compute the inverse matrix.
latentcorpse
So in these notes:
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/9707/9707012v1.pdf

I'm trying to go from (4.28) to (4.29)

I find that the normal [itex]l[/itex] is

[itex]l=f g^{vr}|_{r=r_+} \partial_v + f g^{\chi r}|_{r=r_+} \partial_\chi[/itex]

But then I need to compute these metric components. Since they are evaluated on the outer horizon which is a coordinate singularity if I use Boyer-Lindquist coordinates, I must use Kerr coordinates. However, since they are inverse metric components, and the Kerr metric is not diagonal, it looks like I have to compute the inverse matrix (at least of a 3x3 block) - writing it out, I think I need to find

[itex] \begin{pmatrix} - \frac{\Delta -a^2 \sin^2{\theta}}{\Sigma} & 1 & \frac{-a \sin^2{\theta} ( r^2 + a^2 - \Delta)}{\Sigma} \\ 1 & 0 & -a \sin^2{\theta} \\ \frac{a \sin^2{\theta} ( r^2 + a^2 - \Delta)}{\Sigma} & -a \sin^2{\theta} & \frac{ (r^2 + a^2)^2 - \Delta a \sin^2{\theta}}{\Sigma} \sin^2{\theta} \end{pmatrix} ^{-1}[/itex]

Surely this isn't right - that looks horrific!

Physics news on Phys.org
Am I missing something?Yes, you are missing something. The Kerr metric is in fact diagonal, so there is no need to explicitly compute the inverse matrix. The components of the normal l can be found by simply taking the appropriate components of the metric and evaluating them at r=r+.

1. What is "Killing Horizons" in the context of relativity?

"Killing Horizons" refer to a type of surface in spacetime where the metric components remain constant over time. This is important in relativity as it allows for the identification of symmetries in the spacetime geometry.

2. What are Kerr coordinates?

Kerr coordinates are a type of coordinate system used to describe the geometry of a rotating black hole. They are named after the physicist Roy Kerr who first described them in 1963.

3. Why is it important to compute metric components in Kerr coordinates?

Computing metric components in Kerr coordinates is important for understanding the geometry and properties of a rotating black hole. It allows for the calculation of important quantities such as the event horizon, angular momentum, and the ergosphere.

4. What is the process for computing metric components in Kerr coordinates?

The process for computing metric components in Kerr coordinates involves solving a set of differential equations known as the Kerr metric. This involves using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and solving the equations using numerical methods.

5. What are the applications of "Killing Horizons: Computing Metric Components in Kerr Coordinates"?

The applications of "Killing Horizons: Computing Metric Components in Kerr Coordinates" include understanding the properties of rotating black holes, studying the behavior of matter and light in the vicinity of black holes, and testing theories of gravity such as Einstein's theory of general relativity.